Siglent SDG 1025 as RF generator

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
For simple experiments in RF at around 10 MHz, I could have access to a SDG 1025 Siglent signal generator. Manual available here. I could be even buying it.

What could be missing for it to serve as a proper RF generator?

Somebody suggested to look at the capability to attenuate the output. I would dare to add, stability, but lacking previous experience I am not sure what to look at.

No RF generator is available around here so this seem the sole option I have, if at all.

Comments appreciated.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
According to the spec sheet the harmonic distortion at 10MHz sinewave output is -35dBc which corresponds to about 1.8% distortion. That would seem acceptable for most non-critical applications.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
What about using the output for RF tests? It seems rather high.

Could I go away with an attenuator? I fear to enter in new set of problems with that.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
What about using the output for RF tests? It seems rather high.

Could I go away with an attenuator? I fear to enter in new set of problems with that.
Do you mean is the distortion too high for RF tests? Unless they are very critical tests, I don't think so. RF distortion is usually not a big concern.

An attenuator won't affect the distortion, but you may need one if you are testing the low level input of an RF amplifier.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Do you mean is the distortion too high for RF tests? Unless they are very critical tests, I don't think so. RF distortion is usually not a big concern.

An attenuator won't affect the distortion, but you may need one if you are testing the low level input of an RF amplifier.
I meant the output level. Isn't it excesive?