Shunt Placement: V+ vs. V- side

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwanna

Joined Nov 19, 2012
Hi,
I've installed a shunt based ammeter on my motorcycle and wanted to ask what is the difference in placing the Shunt on the negative vs positive side of the electrical circuit?

Currently, the shunt goes between the battery Neg terminal and the Chassis. This accurately provides me a measurement of the amps being drawn on the battery, but NOT on the regulator.

My options of course are to simply place the Shunt between the regulator Gnd and the battery Neg. That would show my the amperage the regulator is handling.

I'm curious what you all think of placing the Shunt between the positive sides of either the battery or the output of the voltage regulator?

Thanks for your time and I look forward to hearing the views.

Cheers,

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The owners of All About Circuits have elected not to allow discussions of automotive electrical system modifications/enhancements due to safety concerns, the potential of legal ramifications and the possible circumvention of vehicle regulations at the state and federal level.

This thread is against the AAC forum rules, Chapter 6, as seen here:

6. Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered “off-topic” at all times and will results in Your thread being closed without question:
• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
Automotive modifications
• Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
• LEDs to mains
• Phone jammers
• Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
• Transformer-less power supplies
This can be found in our Terms of Service (ToS)

Here is a site that may provide you with some assistance: Electro Tech Online

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.