Show us your Multimeter

tindel

Joined Sep 16, 2012
The 87 is a great DMM

At home I have a cheap radio shack meter and a few harbor freight ones.
At work I have access to all kinds of meters... I too go for the 87V first... can't go wrong with it.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Fluke 87 and an old AmpProbe 0-1000 in the service truck.

In the house it would take an hour to catalog if I included all the specialty meters, scopes, and analyzers.

But the thread is about multimeters.

On the bench is a Simson 260 analog and for the last couple years I've been using a cheap imported VC9808 that I just love.

Does temp, capacity to 2000uf, frequency, diode, transistor, inductance, peak, dc amp, ac amp, 20 amp.

All for $20 here. http://www.ebay.com/itm/180614882090?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2

I paid a lot more and don't regret it a bit.

When I first posted about it on a forum http://boards.dishretailer.com/showthread.php?p=542289#post542289 others weren't too impressed.
That was two years ago and I still love it. Leads are great too.

Bench is a mess, but I've got no pride! :)
Well I am pretty proud of the isolated variac in the middle. Made it when I was a youngster.

I see the old heathkit vtvm hiding in the cabinet. Forgot it was there.

Attachments

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
My Fluke 111 is my go to meter for most use. I keep my best probe tips on it.

Next is my RS 22-163, a decent enough meter for construction use.

Last is my HP 3478A, I save that for the bench. Since I don't have a bench it lives in my shed.

I also have some $2 Harbor Freight meters where I may need a meter on short notice, like my wife's warehouse and our lighthouse.

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
For now my primary meter is a little yellow RS $30, circa Y2K unit, and a harbor fright 2.99 number

I have a Fluke 77, a couple or 3 old Micronta models, one being their
"range doubler " restored from a battery leak.

Second pic. The Fluke has a minor mod you may get a kick out of, to cut down on changing test-lead positions for ac / dc current measuring... The leads tapped inside the meter, and attached to the selector switch... with the easily replaceable fuse for the 300 mA circuit.

Attachments

Last edited:

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Here's another very handy meter on the left.

Speery DM-2001 discontinued now.
100 amp current probe.
Makes dc current readings easy.
Room for lots of error but gives ball park repeatable dc.amp readings without breaking circuit.

I know we can't do automotive projects here, but lots of times it's best not to disconnect battery.

Battery charging, hydrogen gen, dc motor circuits, just great for higher power tests.

I talked a buddy into getting one. Unfortunately he left in on the dash the first week he had it. Melted down! :(

Attachments

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
My workhorse meter is a 3 1/2 digit Ramsey DMM I built back around 1980 which I have modified over the years to give the AC voltage ranges bandwidth of about 100kHz. I also improved the current ranges accuracy and built in a better voltage reference for the ICL7107 DVM chip to work from. The accuracy is really good, about 0.1% on voltage and Ohm ranges. I also built in a four LED battery state of charge indicator.

Attachments

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I have a few meters, but the one I use most often is a Craftsman, bought from Kmart. Now, I realize that's a horrible place to buy multimeters, but all other stores in the area--even RadioShack--had nothing but pathetic meters that couldn't even measure capacitance. This was the only one I could find that had all the measurement options that I needed. I bought it 8 years ago and the only problem I've ever had with it is the probe connectors have begun to wear out. But after 8 years that's to be expected.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
I love my fluke meter and right now I am trying to sell my Fluke 333 in order to buy the fluke 87 or something similar... Cause I am getting tired of only having one meter and have to keep moving my meter to test something is a pain ...

I have a few meters, but the one I use most often is a Craftsman, bought from Kmart. Now, I realize that's a horrible place to buy multimeters, but all other stores in the area--even RadioShack--had nothing but pathetic meters that couldn't even measure capacitance. This was the only one I could find that had all the measurement options that I needed. I bought it 8 years ago and the only problem I've ever had with it is the probe connectors have begun to wear out. But after 8 years that's to be expected.

LOL I have used a craftsman meter for years and it has never failed me .. But I decided to get a better meter and got a really good deal on a Fluke 77II for $35 shipped ....

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I'm not ashamed to admit that this is what I use. I have a half dozen of them I picked up for free from Harbor Freight. One in the garage, one in the workshop, one in the car, etc.

Attachments

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
I'm not ashamed to admit that this is what I use. I have a half dozen of them I picked up for free from Harbor Freight. One in the garage, one in the workshop, one in the car, etc.

I understand but don't you guys worry about about getting hurt or even killed with a cheap meter which really has no safety features if something where to rise ???

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Not me, because I stay well away from any such application. I get quite nervous just probing the 120VAC mains lines in my home. And FWIW, it does at least have an internal fuse.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Not me, because I stay well away from any such application. I get quite nervous just probing the 120VAC mains lines in my home. And FWIW, it does at least have an internal fuse.
LOL
I can play with DC voltage all day but AC really scares me and hence why my AC clamp is up for sale ....

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
LOL
I can play with DC voltage all day but AC really scares me and hence why my AC clamp is up for sale ....
To put a more serious point on it, I don't think ANY safety feature embodied in a meter can protect you from the dangers of simply being near and intentionally contacting dangerous voltages. I'm WAY more afraid of brushing a hot probe against nearby chassis, for instance, than anything that might happen inside my meter.

When I was a kid I "experimented" with jamming a pair of tweezers into a wall outlet. The blinding flash, loud pop and release of the magic smoke left a life-long impression on me. What doesn't kill (or blind) us makes us wiser. :eek:

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I would very much like to get another Simpson multimeter at some point. They are probably the most reliable ones I've ever used.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Every since I joined this forum I have never seen a bunch of gentleman that use such old school equipment and pull such amazing thing out of their hats ..

Thanks everyone for this Forum
Jason SR

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I understand but don't you guys worry about about getting hurt or even killed with a cheap meter which really has no safety features if something where to rise ???
One habit you will often notice from those that traditionally work with 240 and up, is the ritual of first checking the leads for continuity when first turning the meter on, or occasionally when in use when measuring voltages.
What ever the quality of the meter, leads can go open, giving a false sense of security when voltage shows zero! :eek:
Once you get into the habit, it is second nature.
Max.