Show how to make a 4-to-1 MUX, using an 8-to-1 MUX

djburst

Joined Nov 3, 2011
Show how to make a 4-to-1 MUX, using an 8-to-1 MUX.

-I understand how to take smaller MUXes and construct multiple of them to construct a larger one. Such as 2 4-to-1's to make an 8-to-1, but how would I make a 4-to-1 MUX using an 8-to-1??

I honestly am completely stumped and so not even know where to start, So any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

djburst

Joined Nov 3, 2011
Are the unused inputs grounded? How can you not use 4 inputs? Doesn't the fact that 4 inputs are unused on a 8:1 make it a 4:1 by default??

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
The 8:1 MUX needs 3 selection pins. The 4:1 needs 2. Which of the 3 initial pins you must disable in order to be able to select only between 4 inputs of the 8:1 MUX?

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
After djsfantasi went all Ratch on my sorry @$$ (and for good reason), I 'll take some time to explain a bit better what I meant on the previous post, since what I said wasn't well-phrased.

Using 3 variables to in a MUX allows you to select 1 out of 8 inputs. If you make one of those 3 variables a constant, then only 2 variables are left to select an input, and that leaves only 4 possible selections.

For example, if you ground the LSB of the selection bits, then the only available inputs will be 0,2,4 and 6.

Is that clear?

djburst

Joined Nov 3, 2011
Yes! Thank you it's clear now.. I wa thinking I had to change one of the 8 inputs, but now I understand it's all about the pins that select the inputs..

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
"...went all Ratch"? (sorry, don't know that phrase) Oh my, I was hoping that my PM to you wouldn't be taken the wrong way :(

I was just curious if what I was thinking was correct. Sorry if I offended...

dj

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
No, no, none was taken, don't worry. I takes much more than that to remotely offend me. I like being corrected when I am mistaken, mostly because that justifies me to do the same thing, which I love.

Ratch was a past AAC member that was banned to oblivion for being a grammar Nazi and not letting a single word drop.