Shoutbox

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Hi all,

This is just a quick suggestion for the forum.

Would it be possible to include a shoutbox feature on the forum 'homepage'? I have seen it on a couple of other VBulletin forums, so I shouldn't think it would be too hard to implement.

I know that there's the argument that it could be spammed, bit just set a post limit on it, similar to the flea market. It could be lower, say, 50 posts?

The advantage of the shoutbox would be that it could allow a little bit of 'live chat' on the forums. It's something for people like me to chat with anyone else whilst I await a reply to my threads, hahaha.;)

Thanks for your time, and keep up the great work on these forums.

Sparky

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I've seen "shout boxes" cause a distinct drop in the number of posts in other forums; as people tend to gravitate towards the most interactive medium available.

If it's just to chat, that's one thing. However, on a forum like this, conversations would likely evolve into some kind of project; at that point an interactive chat can quickly become counterproductive.

It's sort of the same thing as why I don't like to help people via PM's or E-mail, as it causes extra work for me trying to keep various peoples' projects in some kind of chronological order.

Someone did set up an AllAboutCircuits chat room a ways back, but I only went in there a few times, and never saw anyone else in there.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
I don't like chat features. I'd just like to be able to post a link without having to log in again each time and post an image without linking in a url.