Should the ends of air coil inductor be unsheathed or stripped?

bypassrestrictions

Joined Jun 1, 2021
For a project I'm working on, I need to make an air coil inductor out of magnetic wire, it has enamel over, should I remove the enamel over both the ends?

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
Okay then the answer is still yes for the coil be very careful when you handle the wire you do not want to Nick the enamel coating along the length of the magnet wire so I would put some tape over the drill bit itself if you're going to use a drill bit. I would use some 1000 grit sandpaper to take off the enamel coating. Did your unit happen to come with a schematic? Which is different from the assembly instructions.

bypassrestrictions

Joined Jun 1, 2021
Okay then the answer is still yes for the coil be very careful when you handle the wire you do not want to Nick the enamel coating along the length of the magnet wire so I would put some tape over the drill bit itself if you're going to use a drill bit. I would use some 1000 grit sandpaper to take off the enamel coating. Did your unit happen to come with a schematic? Which is different from the assembly instructions.
The kit didn't come with any instructions or schematics.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
If you are going to electrically connect the component in a circuit, then of course you must remove the insulation to connect it. Flame or sandpaper work well. Concerned about nicking, coat it with :

1623375036063.png

sparky 1

Joined Nov 3, 2018
I scratch the enamel with a razor blade using light pressure then using crisp 400 sand paper before using soldering iron apply just enough
to apply 1/4" when it is installed the coil is about 1/8" above the board. On the ferrite toroid practice with some different colored wire and check the picture closely this way you get it right without wasting your enamel wire.

Last edited:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
That wire is "Magnet" wire, not magnetic wire. and the instructions use the word weld where it should say solder. It is certainly a very interesting project, I would purchase one for myself if you can share the source.

You will indeed need to remove the insulation from the wires.
For the wires, in each case, I suggest tinning ( getting the wires solder coated) for the ends of the wires that will be soldered to the board, before mounting the coils on the circuit board. That will allow you to solder them in place with a minimum of heat.

bypassrestrictions

Joined Jun 1, 2021
That wire is "Magnet" wire, not magnetic wire. and the instructions use the word weld where it should say solder. It is certainly a very interesting project, I would purchase one for myself if you can share the source.

You will indeed need to remove the insulation from the wires.
For the wires, in each case, I suggest tinning ( getting the wires solder coated) for the ends of the wires that will be soldered to the board, before mounting the coils on the circuit board. That will allow you to solder them in place with a minimum of heat.
They are available on Amazon and Ali Express.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I bought an SDR from AliX and played with it a bit and found it not near as receptive as my Icom IC-R75 all band receiver running under Ham Radio Deluxe controls with a sloper antenna. But then you get what you pay for... Considering buying a Tram 1411 Broad Band Discone Antenna to use along with the sloper and longwire for the R75 and SDR.

FWIW