Shorted-circuit wire

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
Hello,

I found some old extensions on my house last hours. I asked my father if that extension had encountered any short-circuits and he answered yes.

So, is it still OK to use the wire from the extension? It is still OK, I guess. Because I looked up the copper and it seems no burn or so.

So, is it OK to use or go with risk???

thanks a lot!!!

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
depending how hot it got, the insulation is probably degraded. might be brittle in a spot, could crack eventually & shock you. It's up to you. The safe answer would be "No, don't use it"

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
If you have no use for it anymore and are going to throw it away you could always cut the ends off (so no one plugs it into a wall on accident) and strip the plastic off and use the wire inside for your projects. It should be apparent where the short is, so don't use that part.

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
If you have no use for it anymore and are going to throw it away you could always cut the ends off (so no one plugs it into a wall on accident) and strip the plastic off and use the wire inside for your projects. It should be apparent where the short is, so don't use that part.
Don't worry. That extension is no use anymore and its plug has been removed ages ago.:)That extension has been on our stack-room many years ago. It has been replaced by a new one. :)