Short-circuit symmetrical components

Larosso

Joined Jan 10, 2009
I start this thread bt saying that allaboutcircuits.com has a great way of explaining rather complex issues.

I am asking if anyone can show me some documentation where the method of symmetrical components is explained in a way it is actually possible to understand, also from a practical point of view.

Anybody out there who can help me with this??

Larosso

Joined Jan 10, 2009
When a short-circuit occurs in an installation, and this short circuit is not symmetrical, for instance a "Single-pole short circuit to earth". The there is different mathematical tools to calculate this short-circuit current. I believe the most common method to determinate short-circuit currents is the method of using Symmetrical components.

So I am very interested in finding documentation describing the history of the method, in other terms how do they think when the developed the method, and some examples as well.

so your talking about like a three phase balanced system.. Then if there were a phase to ground fault what would be the currents in the other two legs. is this what you mean? i understand you want literature but im trying to undestand first.....

Larosso

Joined Jan 10, 2009
Yes, the case you mention here is an example where you can use the method of symmetrical components. Here is "a part of the method"

IkR=Ik+ + Ik- + Ik0

IkS=h2Ik+ + hIk- + Ik0

IkT=hIk+ +h2 Ik- + Ik0

where–

h= ej120°
h2= e j240°

1+h+h2=0

But I have not found any literature that explains the method in way it is actually possible to understand.

(By the way - I am also interested in documents where there are schetces/drawings of the short circuit path in different fault situations.)