Short Beep Tone with LM555

Belteshazzar

Joined Mar 16, 2010
Could someone help me finalize this project of mine?

I have found several beep circuits using the 555 but none to do what I need.

Attached is a schematic I found earlier, placed by Bernard and/or Sgt Wookie if I am not mistaken.

It works great, I played with the resistors turning R1 to 10K and R2 to 47k and it turns into a nice constant short beep alert tone...in case anyone is interested to build it.

I built it without the 2N2222A, just the right side of the schematic feeding it 5V.

Can I change this circuit somehow to do the following?

- Pressing a momentary push-button I get only a short beep that terminates after a fraction of a second EVEN if I keep the push-button pushed.

- Then, when you let go of the button and push it again its ready to do another short beep.....as quickly as I can press the button.

- Assuming the push button is NOT the also the power-on button; the 555 will be already on via a 5V supply.

....through a charge and discharge of a lytic cap maybe?

Thanks

Attachments

Last edited:

Belteshazzar

Joined Mar 16, 2010
Ratched, I'm sorry but I don't understand how to put it together, can you draw me a shematic using the 555 as one "one shot"?

Bill, I went through your circuits, I didn't see one that does what I described!

Maybe it was right in front of me, but I don't know how to recognize the circuit and/or make modifications to my specs!

Can you draw one up?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The monostable is what you described. I'll show how to connect a pushbutton when I get a chance.

How long do you want the beep to last?

Belteshazzar

Joined Mar 16, 2010
Thank you, Bill, it works PERFECTLY. This is exactly what I needed.

I changed the 10uF lytic cap to a 2.2uf to get a shorter beep, though.

I do have a problem, however, trying to find what pizzo speaker works with this circuit.

I only have one pizzo element that I found in another electronic gadget of mine and I don't know exactly what it is or where to buy it.

I got lucky and plugged it in the circuit I posted and it worked...it also works with your circuit.
I do not want to get lucky and 'happen" to find a pizzo that works.
I would like to have it fully identified and know where to buy it in case I want to duplicate this circuit.

The pizzo I have that works is labeled "WST-1206UX". There is also a "-P" and the + symbol. Its resistance is 175M.

The two giants, mouser.com and digikey.com don't have it.

Beforehand I had ordered a few pizzos from Mouser and nothing worked, only this one that I found laying around.

What is the 'Sonalert'. I have seen this posted on other projects too.
Does it have a built in oscillator?

Do you have a part# so that I can buy it from mouser or digikey?

Thanks again for the circuit!

Belteshazzar

Joined Mar 16, 2010
Never mind....I found the info.

It's a regular piezo buzzer 3V-12V. Has the drive built-in. Just give it power and it sounds.

Thanks again for everthing!