Shopping with chinese sellers on ebay

freak101

Joined Aug 7, 2017
Hello all !
I need 74LS283 (4-bit full adder) for my project. Since I want to spend little on it, I've decided to go with Chinese sellers.
This one seller grabbed my attention (jotrun-electronics):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/5PCS-SN74L...RY-FULL-ADDERS-WITH-FAST-CARRY-/322563104359?
I'd like to know your experience with this seller (if any) or your personal choice. I really need second opinion as this is my first attempt with chinese sellers (2nd attempt while importing from other country).
What grabbed my attention was its shipping time. Other popular chinese sellers like jk parts state huge delivery time and that scared me off.
BTW, I am based in India.
What do you think ?
Thanx !

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Looks like pretty good feedback, I have bought the odd few items from China, on the whole OK.
The mail time to Canada is anywhere from 3-4 weeks to 2 months in some cases.
Max.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I wouldn't buy anything from a seller in China.

EDIT: Semiconductors or salvaged parts like hard drives. New stuff is okay as long as you're not expecting genuine parts. For less than $20 shipped, I like ratcheting crimpers from AliExpress and the same products seem to be on eBay.

If you decide to buy, look closely at the pictures of the product they're selling. Most times, they don't even try to hide fact that the parts have been black topped and remarked. Whenever I see any, I report them as counterfeit.

Check the manufacturer logo, part numbers, date codes, and package for irregularities.

Since I've been on AAC, there have been a small number of people reporting counterfeit products from eBay. IIRC, one was a batch of temperature sensors that turned out to be transistors.

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hello all !
I need 74LS283 (4-bit full adder) for my project. Since I want to spend little on it, I've decided to go with Chinese sellers.
This one seller grabbed my attention (jotrun-electronics):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/5PCS-SN74L...RY-FULL-ADDERS-WITH-FAST-CARRY-/322563104359?
I'd like to know your experience with this seller (if any) or your personal choice. I really need second opinion as this is my first attempt with chinese sellers (2nd attempt while importing from other country).
What grabbed my attention was its shipping time. Other popular chinese sellers like jk parts state huge delivery time and that scared me off.
BTW, I am based in India.
What do you think ?
Thanx !
Pretend you are buying a $4 lottery ticket. Then imagine winning 99.9% of the time. On top of that, if you don't get what you want, most f these Chinese sellers will drop a second one in the mail with no questions asked so you can add to your 99.9% odds.

Your chances of being unhappy are low. Our total risk is low unless $4 means a lot to you.

On the other hand, you can get them at Jamec for $2.95 (plus shipping).

freak101

Joined Aug 7, 2017
Pretend you are buying a $4 lottery ticket. Then imagine winning 99.9% of the time. On top of that, if you don't get what you want, most f these Chinese sellers will drop a second one in the mail with no questions asked so you can add to your 99.9% odds.

Your chances of being unhappy are low. Our total risk is low unless $4 means a lot to you.
That was a great insight ! Point noted.
On the other hand, you can get them at Jamec for $2.95 (plus shipping).
Its the only reason why I am choosing chinese sellers. $15 shipping for $4 item is ridiculous.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Its the only reason why I am choosing chinese sellers. $15 shipping for $4 item is ridiculous.
Spend $100 and get free shipping. Order often enough and they give you discount codes. I get $10 off of $50 offers pretty regularly. That pays for shipping.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
The more you spend, the more you save - soon you'll have saved so much you'll be rich.
It was mostly things I was going to buy anyway. I typically by IC's in qty 100. When what I already had on my list didn't total $50, I'd add a few dollars of things I was already contemplating buying to get the $10 to cover shipping.