Shocked by 277

JR3300

Joined May 25, 2010
I can tell you that you are painfully aware that you are being electricuted. I felt the pulsations of the electricity rushing through my body from my chest to my arms and I could hear myself yelling. My body was no longer under my control. I remember feeling intense pressure in my head, knowing that I would die soon...not wondering if. That 3 seconds was one foot in hell, like being mawled by a grizzly bear.
The very electrician who was at fault for not warning me was my biggest critic. He told me that I did not recieve the full 277. He also went around the jobsite with a giddy attitude towards me and mockingly about what happened.
While working on a kitchen hood exhaust I noticed that it was hooked up, electrically, naturally I asked the same guy to disconnect it. Arrogantly he told me what to disconnect and expected me to do it! I told him that I wasn't gonna touch it. The bastard disconnected the wires and to my surprise he left the wires exposed not only to the kitchen hood...which were not connected to anything...but 4 wires comming out of a box in the wall. Man, I got irrate and went to his boss. I showed him the wires exposed without wirenuts, and having been through what I had been I told his boss that he needed to put a leash on this guy. The word got back and to make a long story short I threatened the guy with a 277 of my own that I would gladly hand deliver.

cjdelphi

Joined Mar 26, 2009
JR, man, 3 seconds is a long long time to experience what you went through, 3 seconds suddenly feels like an eternity, all my encounters have been only a brief touch never grabbed me like that..... and that's bad enough lol

But i want to lobby for 12 or 24vdc into all homes, the only down side (as pointed out here) is that for this to be possible cable costs would rise, instead of a thin wire you'd need very thick cabling running through the house, electricians would hate it, if not the heat produced could easily melt, take a 2000watt cleaner, oven lol

2000watt/24v = 83 amps LOL !!!!

Where as, with 240v we're talking only 8.3amps, you'd need car jump starter cables plugged into the wall... So maybe say 2 points in the house where 120/240v outlets are for bigger appliances and the rest can be 12/24vdc access points... I know it'd make my life so much easier always running out of transformers for my electronic projects....

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
I can tell you that you are painfully aware that you are being electricuted. I felt the pulsations of the electricity rushing through my body from my chest to my arms and I could hear myself yelling. My body was no longer under my control. I remember feeling intense pressure in my head, knowing that I would die soon...not wondering if. That 3 seconds was one foot in hell, like being mawled by a grizzly bear.
The very electrician who was at fault for not warning me was my biggest critic. He told me that I did not recieve the full 277. He also went around the jobsite with a giddy attitude towards me and mockingly about what happened.
While working on a kitchen hood exhaust I noticed that it was hooked up, electrically, naturally I asked the same guy to disconnect it. Arrogantly he told me what to disconnect and expected me to do it! I told him that I wasn't gonna touch it. The bastard disconnected the wires and to my surprise he left the wires exposed not only to the kitchen hood...which were not connected to anything...but 4 wires comming out of a box in the wall. Man, I got irrate and went to his boss. I showed him the wires exposed without wirenuts, and having been through what I had been I told his boss that he needed to put a leash on this guy. The word got back and to make a long story short I threatened the guy with a 277 of my own that I would gladly hand deliver.
In the case of the arrogant electrician, and to teach his boss, I would go to the doctor anyways to get a doctors note, and file a suit against his insurance, or better yet report him to the BBB ( Better Business Bureau), maybe a suspension on his license will teach him a thing or 2, some of these kinds of people give the actual real electricians a bad rep, most of these types are scab workers anyways.....

B. Morse

JR3300

Joined May 25, 2010
Well Bmorse as a matter of fact I have contacted a lawyer on this situation for a couple of reasons.
1. I was endangered to the point of a real chance of loosing my life.
2. No wirenuts
3. No warning by the nearby electrician
4. No contact whatsoever by the electrical company to see how I was doing.
5. The carefree attitude about the whole incident by the electrician and his foreman.
6. The confrontation with the arrogant ass that I hold responsible.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
good for you, and I hope the jackass looses his license, putting his self in danger of electrocution is one thing, putting others in harms way is another, and having a smug attitude after he nearly kills someone tells me he is not a very "smart" guy. So he needs to have his license revoked before he kills someone, or burns someones building down from improper wiring... I can pretty much tell you that he probably is not doing things up to code, just by leaving live wires dangling and placing others in harms way.

B. Morse

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
He WILL kill someone with that type of attitude and workmanship(or lack of it).

Those types of people have NO BUSINESS dealing with such voltages and being given the say over who lives or dies.

And whats he gonna say when he does kill someone?

He's gonna blame them.

When you go to the doctor, have them check your baby maker. This is an often overlooked complication with electrocution. You should NOT have been put through that hell then treated disrespectfully afterwards by a LICENSED ELECTRICIAN.

hspalm

Joined Feb 17, 2010
Tell you the truth, I would go which ever is closest.
Shure, so would I. Here where I live the private "ER's" are everywhere, it's only a matter of pick and choose. It might seem like my bad experience with the emergency room was the main point of my post, but it more to tell the OP what serious medical treatment he really should have been trough after his experience.

I can say at least one positive thing though, about choosing private, and that is the waiting time is much shorter to get in to a doctor.

Actually I don't even think "emergeny room" is the right word for where I went, directly translated it would be more like "medical watch".

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Hello guys. Recently I was working on a project and was electricuted for 3 seconds of 277. It was extremely painful and, thank God, the breaker tripped knocking out 9 2*4 layin ceiling lights.
My question is what are some immediate symptoms and what can be some longterm effects?
Hi JR:

Speaking with the authority of one who's been knocked on his keister more times than I can count, I can say that once the origial trauma is over, there are no long lasting effects. I'm perfectly normal! Just ask me!

Eric