Shielding EMI from TOROID TRANSFORMER

Status
Not open for further replies.

lubnaan90

Joined Jan 13, 2010
Hello to all,

I am building a Stereo Power Amplifier with Dual Toroid Transformer (Each rated at 400VA). Each transformer for each Channel. I would like to confirm whether or not this method will be of any good in creating a shield between the Amp Boards & the EMI generated by the Transformers.

I have made a Virtual 3D design to explain properly on how i plan to do it.
I would put a Barrier between the Amp Boards & the transformer using 1mm thick Steel plate between them. The height of the plate will be exactly as the chassis wall, so that when i put the top cover of the chassis, it will create a closed enclosure for both the transformer from all sides.

Will this method do any Good to shield the amp boards from Electromagnetic waves being emitted from the transformers? Or is it just a waste of time to make these Barriers?

Best Regards,
Lubnan

Attachments

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Steel is a pretty good material for shielding magnetic flux so the barrier will help. If you still get too much noise you can add a second steel shield or add a better shield material like mu metal.

chuckey

Joined Jun 4, 2007
Beware your screen can act as a shorted turn, make sure you put a thin layer of insulation between the top of the steel walls and the case's top and bottom. They also have a high inrush current so might blow a 10A fuse.
Frank

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
As mentioned Torioid's do not radiate like EI transformers, with two in proximity to each other you can also position one at right angles to the other to decrease it further.
Max.

Status
Not open for further replies.