shielded cable

masudasim

Joined Jul 10, 2010
Hello all

we are using audio power amplifiers which delivers around 2000 watt signal to the transducers having input impedance of approx 150 oham. The signal at output of power amplifier is of sinusoidal type with approx. 600 Vrms. The current drawn by the load (transducer) is approx 3.2A. Our frequency of intrest is 2 - 5 KHz

Problem is that we need to place multiple of 900m length cables b/w power amplifiers and transducers.Each power amplifier drives single transducer. These cables needed to be placed very close to each other so some insulation /shielding is required so that signal in one pair of cable does not effect the signal in other pair (i.e. no cross talk, phase distortion etc)

Please help us to select any commercially available insulated cable satisfying above requirements.Any kind of help is much appreciated

THANKS

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
On the other website I mentioned shielded cable that you added to this post.
I also mentioned coaxial cable. It is used for cable TV and for radio transmitters.

JDT

Joined Feb 12, 2009
I don't claim to be in expert on this but I would have thought that at the frequencies that you are using, shielding is not too important. As long as the pair of cores in each cable are twisted, crosstalk will not be a problem.

Depending on the environment, I would suggest using normal power distribution cables. If they were steel-wire-armoured then that will also give some screening. Cables suitable for 600V 50/60Hz (1000V class) will also be OK for 5kHz.

You big problems are not crosstalk but: 1/ Power loss in the cable over this distance. 2/ Capacitance between the conductors causing a considerable extra amplifier output current.

I suppose it is not possible to site your amplifiers close to the load and use long cables to carry the amplifier power (at DC or 50/60Hz AC)?

masudasim

Joined Jul 10, 2010
We have selected a HIGH voltage/shielded coaxial cable manufactured by TELEDYNE with following specifications:

Oper. Volt. (KVDC) 20
AWG 16

The product data sheet is attached

Can you kindly review this cable specs whether it is suitable for our application (mentioned in previous post) or not ?since coaxial cables are normally used and designed for RF purposes.

Attachments

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
16AWG wire is not listed in the coaxial cable datasheet you posted. If it is available and is rated for more than the peak voltage of your system then it will be fine.