shaver socket

adibom

Joined Aug 24, 2010
why only the shaver socket can be installed in the toilet? is it safe in the toilet?what kind of protection used?

regards
adibom

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
why only the shaver socket can be installed in the toilet? is it safe in the toilet?what kind of protection used?

regards
adibom
Where did you get that regulation info? How about a hairdryer outlet, or one for the hair curler/straightener/crimper?

Ken

n1ist

Joined Mar 8, 2009
I'm guessing he may be from the UK. A shaver socket there has a built-in isolation transformer, with both output leads ungrounded. You can't get a shock by touching one of the leads and ground. They are low current, so they won't work with a hair drier.

/mike

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
I have seen those. They are rated at about 20VA, and have a thermal shutdown in them, so you can't use a hairdryer for example. I think they have to have isolation by law.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I have seen the transformers in several hotels in holland and germany.
I think it is an old regulation, as more modern hotels do not use them anymore.

Bertus

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
I think it is an old regulation, as more modern hotels do not use them anymore.
The european regulation EN 60742 is still current.

Shaver sockets are a case where safety is ensured by having a very high impedance to earth and a limited current supply capacity.

Transformers are double wound to ensure that the circuit is separated completely from others. There is a screen between windings and the secondary windings have no connection to earth. You can take hold of any terminal and hold say an earthed tap (faucet) without shock since there is no possibility of an earth loop.

You buy (install) special units containing the transformers as shown in my diagram. I have shown a unit with both UK and US voltages available, some units do not have the tapping and only supply a single voltage.

Attachments

Last edited: