lina889

Joined Oct 4, 2010
is it possible use sharp IR sensor to detect the car if it in the garage or not
if it on the garage the led will be
if not the led will off ?????
all that using pic16f877a

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
You will need an IR source to be detected by the sensor. It is simply an on/off function. What might be the purpose of the PIC?

lina889

Joined Oct 4, 2010
am working om automatic car parking system in need a sensor to detect if there is a car in the park or not if there a car the led will be on and if not the led will be off
what is the kind of sharp IR sensor can i use and how to use it ???

windoze killa

Joined Feb 23, 2006
Firstly you need to supply more information. The more detailed your question the more detailed the responses will be.

Are you trying to detect if a car is parked within a car space in a multi car garage (shopping centre or apartment complex) or a single car at home? Either way I would place an IR LED on the floor and an IR sensor in the ceiling. when a car parks over the LED it will break the beam and deactivate the sensor.

Have a think about that and see what you can come up with. When you have some ideas we maybe able to help more.

windoze killa

Joined Feb 23, 2006
Well I didn't say the maintenance side of it would be easy. ;):D

Anyway I was just throwing out some ideas for him to think about. He has to do all the hard work.

lina889

Joined Oct 4, 2010
Firstly you need to supply more information. The more detailed your question the more detailed the responses will be.

Are you trying to detect if a car is parked within a car space in a multi car garage (shopping centre or apartment complex) or a single car at home? Either way I would place an IR LED on the floor and an IR sensor in the ceiling. when a car parks over the LED it will break the beam and deactivate the sensor.

Have a think about that and see what you can come up with. When you have some ideas we maybe able to help more.
thxx for your replay am to trying to detect if a car is parked within a car space in a multi car garage in shopping center in each garage i need a sensor to detect if there is a car or not which the perfect kind of IR sharp sensor i perfect to detect that ???
and the the most distance it can detect in ????

I have had another idea for you. Mount ultrasonic transducers in the roof of the garage pointing down to the car space. You can then measure the time it takes for the signal to bounce back from the ground. When a car is parked there the distance will be less and the time will be shorter. Just another option because as marshall said the IR sensors may get dirty.

lina889

Joined Oct 4, 2010
ultrasonic is the first one i think a bout it but am working on graduation project and i need more then 10 sensor of it but thats to expensive i need any kind of sensor to detect the object and connect it to led thats all and something not expensive

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
10 spaces and something like 1 LED to light up if there's a car in that spot?

Since this is a project I guess you can't assume dirt as the parking surface, but can we assume a roof over it?

I like the ultrasonic idea but there again it would be dirt and water on the floor and the necessity of a roof overhead being the only way to avoid that.

I really think I'd consider my idea of buried sensor loops identical to how they trip most stop lights at intersections. It's practical for a parking garage to get a "slot cutter" that would allow the wires to be buried in the parking surface and all run to a central location.

In essence the way these circuits work is by utilizing the loop of wire as the inductor in a simple colpitts oscillator. When a car parks over the loop the metal of the car increases the effective inductance of the loop thus inducing a fairly decent change in the oscillator's frequency. Since the frequency would go lower you should be able to use a simple 555 missing pulse detector to sense the difference and trigger the LED on.

mbohuntr

Joined Apr 6, 2009

Since this is a project I guess you can't assume dirt as the parking surface, but can we assume a roof over it?

I like the ultrasonic idea but there again it would be dirt and water on the floor and the necessity of a roof overhead being the only way to avoid that.

I really think I'd consider my idea of buried sensor loops identical to how they trip most stop lights at intersections. It's practical for a parking garage to get a "slot cutter" that would allow the wires to be buried in the parking surface and all run to a central location.

In essence the way these circuits work is by utilizing the loop of wire as the inductor in a simple colpitts oscillator. When a car parks over the loop the metal of the car increases the effective inductance of the loop thus inducing a fairly decent change in the oscillator's frequency. Since the frequency would go lower you should be able to use a simple 555 missing pulse detector to sense the difference and trigger the LED on.
Oh gee thanks for that new knowledge (Oscillators and inductance), now I have more stuff to research on the internet... (Will this never end???, my brain is sooo tired...):rolleyes:

lina889

Joined Oct 4, 2010

the led is for each garage in each slot...
i think IR transmitter receiver is a good idea i want to but them Against each other in each garage when the car is in between the transmitter and he receiver the led will on other wise the led will off
is that a good ????