Share photos of your workbench

the machine to the right of the scope is way better ;), they are for blind people to read with, but it does all kinds of contrast stuff which is handy, also auto sharp focus and variable zoom and magnification upto 200X, its really nice to solder 100 pin QFN with. you can just sit back and look at the screen, 0.5mm soldering bit looks like a bit of 4x2 though lol. Its probably my best ever ebay score, they are normally around £5,000 new and I got it for £10 :D no one else bid on it and it was in the wrong section

I will try and post some new ones tomorow as its changed a fair bit, I have most my equipment in there now, I still havnt found a way to store 250reels of smd components in a sensible way, so they are now under the bench. Its still not finished but getting there

Well technically it was mine and dads, but he has another so now its mine. The pics were taken last July when we moved and I took them as I was building the lab. Its nearly done now and I have most my stuff in it. I decided to keep the floor wood, but it now has more storage bins and equipment in.
It's a nice place to work and I spend alot of time in there. I spend most of my money on electronics!

Those Harbor Freight bins are an awesome deal. I have several, but not that many. Mine have labels on the bins though. :D
We are in the UK and I think we got them from Farnel, but yes they are great! most of mine now have labels on as well lol:p. The pics were taken when we first moved in and I was helping to fit it out. We used the old kitchen cupboards to make the benches etc lol, I know have a few more of those bins but still need a few more

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
You realize of course that you will only get photos of well organized workbenches.
I'll challenge that. I bet that after seeing my work bench(s) most anybody who is ashamed of their "messy" bench will feel a little bit better about sharing.

Like some of you, I also suffer from an affliction of multiple time, tool, and material intensive hobbies. I also suffer from a total absence of organization and tidiness. Actually I don't suffer from either one of those things; people around me do.

The following pictures will serve as "chapter 1" (before) of a "before and after" album; chapter 2 coming a couple of weeks from now. Or sooner. Or later. I am going to turn my "office" (segregated portion of the den) into an electronics lab and get all of my electronics out of my garage shop so that my mechanical tools don't have to feel awkward anymore, and all that crap off the dinner table before it results in divorce.

Here's the hybrid machinist/electronics bench/wall of benches in the garage:

Pan to the right reveals the black hole in the center of the garage. The black totes with yellow lids are industrial surplus parts. Once I get my electronics stuff off the shelves there will be room for all the domestic household crap there, and once I get that engine installed (sitting on the engine hoist, out of view) the center of the garage will be empty!

one last pic from the garage; another lathe and more electronics; here you can see the end of the back row of shelves; there are two rows of industrial shelving units - the one from the pic above with all the component drawers is the first row. There is an aisle between them. The back row is nothing but industrial surplus parts.

Here's my dinner table. We haven't eaten on it in quite some time. I moved in here when it got too cold to mess around in the garage.

And here's where all the magic will happen. The white thing to the right is the back of my daughter's play kitchen. We made a "wall" with it, and a toy bin and a book shelf, to keep the kids out of my "office." I never use the office, so it will be repurposed as a lab. As soon as I finish building the kids' swing set/club house in the back yard, I will focus my sloppy carpentry skills on building a "wall" of shelves butting up to the play kitchen and all the way to the ceiling, with a work bench integrated into it, with overhead(overbench) lighting and all that jazz.

Attachments

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
LittleGhostman said:
I still havnt found a way to store 250reels of smd components in a sensible way, ...
Just keep them in the cartons. You can pad the cartons with some blocks of foam to stop the reels falling over if you don't have enough reels to fill a carton. And obviously keep resistors in one, caps in another, semis in another etc and sorted in order of the value (caps and resistors).
:)

Mine would look like that if dad had his way! Come on lets see some more, I love looking at other peoples labs. Often I get some good ideas by seeing what others do, my next job is to get GM11 (Dad) to install more sockets.
Thanks for the tip RB, but ive had a brainwave I will share after my ban is up

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Computer room.
Called multi purpose room, when designing the house.

The green drawers were some kind of shelves or seats. No one new what they were.

Pulled them out of the scrap pile. Turned them upside down. Had a pallet of them, so went nuts!:)

The partners desk is one of my wife's antiques. Hand built at the local general store in the 1930's.

Attachments

Last edited: