Shape Detection

henrycs

Joined Jul 5, 2009
Design a system that can detect same shape even though in various size using Matlab.What is the best way to begin this project?

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
No much of a clue, but taking pictures from different angles seems one approach.

Another might be the whisker approach. A bunch of soft wires with load cell transducers maybe? I remember a TV shoe on Discovery Channel that showed how animals did it, and some similar projects. It was suprisingly effective and accurate, the item sat on a turntable, and the whiskers slowly swept up and down, moving in at the end of each sweep.

RolfRomeo

Joined Apr 27, 2009
That's a pretty ambitious project, did you choose it yourself or is it an obligatory assignment?
If the latter is the case, I'm sure you'll find some pointers in the syllabus ;-)

First step is probably edge-detection, which I think can be done with matrix-multiplication. (This being matlab and all)

Then I suppose you must write an algorithm that somehow travels along these edges. If an edge seems to curve evenly it's probably a circle, three corners until you reach the starting spot is probably triangle etc.

Something along those lines is probably doable, unless the shapes overlap. If they do overlap I'm all out of ideas.

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
What is the best way to begin this project?[/FONT]
A literature search is a good place to start. Years ago I had to do a project requiring edge detection in images. The book I relied on was "Vision" by David Marr. This book was published in 1982 and no doubt there has been much progress in this area. Still, Marr's work was pioneering and may be sufficient for a simple project like this. Note, I don't mean simple in the sense that it will be easy, but this project involves some of the most basic problems in image recognition. In other words, solutions exist for this problem and you don't need to invent your own, but just learn the existing methods.