'Shaker Torch Principle'

JFEG

Joined Apr 5, 2009
I never really understood why they thought the shaker would ever take off (i bought one lol) all that happens is the magnet passes through the copper coil which induces a magnetic field which produces a small current/voltage which gets passed through a diode and a cap which charges (in mine anyway) an even bigger cap which drives the LED.

Hand cranking with a small motor is far better for generating power, try turning a shaker into something which charges your phone lol.... I did turn the hand crank torch into a regulated source which i used to not only charge the ipod mp3 clone i have but also to drive a 0.5watt amplifier, when the power off i got my 5 year old to spin it round as fast as she could and when she did the music would play (you must regulate it though, it can produce quite high voltages and blow the CMOS / amplifier IC)
It has taken off in a big way,because it makes a light anytime anywhere without having to be concerned whether the batt's are flat or have corroded the torch.Also only two moving parts to wear out.Nearly every CE factory is making there own version. Best version I have come across so far is available in Tesco's for a £5,well made.Good value for money.JFEG

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The main thing about this type of generator is it is cheap, emphasis on cheap. A small DC motor hand cranked with a lever will produce a lot more power, with less effort. Shakers are very inefficient.

If you want to make one it is simple enough (goes back to being cheap). You might even be able to boost efficency by make a bunch in soda straws and paralleling them, making sure they aren't so close they try to stick to each other and not move freely though the straw.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Audioguru- I have one, decided to fully discharge it to see how long it would take it to charge; it does not. Two lithium coin cells, non rechargable. Each shake would produce a weak flash. Good magnet.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
MIT has come up with a development in their GenShock. Apparently they use the principle to make useful amounts of electricity from the motion of the suspension.