Sexiest car ever

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
So, what do you think is the sexiest car ever?

I'm still trying to decide between these two.

1963 Ferrari GTO - This particular one sold for $28 Million at auction.

Or, the 1967 or earlier e-Type Jaguar hard-top - These can be had for about $35-$45 Thousand in good condition.

So, What's Your choice(s)?

Attachments

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
I rank cars somewhere around hemorrhoids and root canals, so sexy isn't the word I'd use for them (i.e., they're just mechanical things to get you somewhere). But I had a classmate in high school who's father had one of those Ferrari's and he raced it at Laguna Seca; his father was very wealthy. I remember it was blue and a nice looking car from a distance (I never got to see it up close though). A friend of my mother's had an XKE and let me drive it around occasionally; I thought it was a POS.

My father loved Corvettes and I got to drive his 63 and 66 models. The 66 had a 427 with a 4.11 rear end and it was fun to put your foot in it. I remember taking it out for a spin once and measuring the gas mileage from a short drive to the next town and back -- 5 miles per gallon.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I 've never though about beauty in cars. I judge them by how "slick" and agile they are.

I could tell you about how the Lamborghini's scream makes me shiver and how the Nissan GT-R dominates my wet dreams, but in the end, a car like this

is enough to make my day.

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
@Markd77

I had a chance to drive the supercharged MR2 at its Candian introduction in late '87. Despite the rather unspectacular spec sheet, the thing was amazing. Everything just worked beautifully together. So slick and smooth. The engine seem to rev to the moon and had an exhilarating power band. I have never since driven a better handling car.

@someonesdad

The Ferrari sold for only $18K when new in 1963. Not that that was cheap back then, but nowhere near the $28M they attract today, even in adjusted $. He should have kept it in top shape for few more years.

@Georacer

Well, despite your claim, you still seem to have an eye for them.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
That's easy. The Series I E-type is such a beautiful automobile that the New York Metropolitan Museum of Art selected one for display.

My introduction to the E-type came in 1971; I'd just gotten my drivers' license, and my next-door neighbor at the time purchased a 1971 Series III drop-head coupe with a V-12 automatic in British Racing Green with a black top - and let me take it for a spin on the highway when it had only 1,100 miles on the clock. :D The acceleration from a stop was not particularly impressive; what WAS impressive is that the acceleration didn't let up even when you were exceeding 80MPH by a good margin... :eek:

My wake-up call every morning after that was my neighbor firing up that V-12, warming it up, and then listening to the scream of that V12 as he went up the street... the engine note was distinctly higher than that of an american V8 engine; the Jaguar V12 was about twice that of a V8.

In those days the E-types were ~$10,000 a copy; that was quite a sum when a brand new Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 2-door with a 455 cu.in. (7.46 liters) 4bbl engine, auto transmission, A/C, power steering, swivel bucket seats, his & hers shifter, AM/FM/8-track and T-top was $4,000 brand new.

Here's a couple of E-types a friend of mine had, taken about a decade ago:

The hard top is a 1971 2+2; basically a series II&1/2, is much more comfortable to drive than the 1973 drop-head coupe. Both have the 5.3L V-12, with 4 side-draft carburetors - it was a bit of a chore getting them all in sync with each other.

The wife and I had an 1988 Jaguar XJ-S V12 Hess & Eisenhardt convertible; they took a coupe and made a convertible out of it. It added about 400 lbs to the vehicle, which made it sit lower than a stock XJ-S. Ours had Dayton wire wheels on it; and was midnight blue with a blue top.

It was fun as a boulevard cruiser, but Jaguar had really jammed the engineering sideways on this one. They took a 90mm bore x 70mm stroke engine that could run happily all day at 8,000 RPM and mated it to a GM turbo hydramatic 400 transmission that had a torque converter which would start eating itself at 6,300 RPM, a very restrictive and serpentine exhaust system, restricted air intake that was behind the radiator, the plumbing was atrocious (both fuel and coolant), the electrical system was nightmarish... I could go on... but it was fun to drive. :)

Attachments

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
The last time I looked at a Lamborghini was in Catanzaro Lido, Italy in 1979. The dealership wanted 100,000 lire for it ($88,000 U.S.) I thought I'd fall asleep in it as I was laying down. It's definitely a "chick magnet". I wasn't in a mid-life crisis. LOL.

Last edited:

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
The Series I E-type is such a beautiful automobile that the New York Metropolitan Museum of Art selected one for display.
Could it be that they could not afford a Ferrari GTO?

Just kidding. I had heard abut the museum acquisition. It is a beautiful car and I believe Car and Driver voted it most sexy car ever.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
So, what do you think is the sexiest car ever?

I'm still trying to decide between these two.

1963 Ferrari GTO - This particular one sold for $28 Million at auction.

Or, the 1967 or earlier e-Type Jaguar hard-top - These can be had for about $35-$45 Thousand in good condition.

So, What's Your choice(s)?
Personally, I'd go for the Ferrari! :D

TBayBoy

Joined May 25, 2011
a 1967 ol Delmont 88, (I had one in midnight blue with white leather with a 425 super rocket engine. uber fast.)

I dated a girl with a 67 cougar in estate green... both were sexy ;)

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
The last of the three is worth 1/10th of the other two, so I can aspire that I will be able to have one like it someday, can't I?
In Canada, the Nissan is about the same price as a Porsche. Either are about 55% the Price of a Gallardo. Now, if its an Aventor you are after, all bets are off.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Tbayboy - really?

I had a '66, fire engine red with a white top & white interior; 425 cubic inch ultra-high compression 4bbl with a dual exhaust that had Cherry Bomb mufflers; that engine had monster torque! It was my 2nd car...

This is not my car, but I thought it was; I found these on the Internet; I had a photo of my car taken back in '71 that was just like the 1st one, in a setting exactly like it, in the same area of Michigan.

The Monster under the hood:

As you can see, this one had A/C - mine didn't, but that was OK with me.

That 425 was probably the strongest stock motor that Olds ever made. The cranks were forged steel for (I think) '65 and '66; or maybe it was '66 and '67 - then they introduced the 455, and it had a cast crank.

Attachments

Last edited:

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
I am not so fan of American cars. They are quite often just a big engine inserted in bombastic chassis, with suspension soft as dessert soufflé. But it is one honourable exception I think. And that is the Mustang known from the 1968 movie Bullit. The Ford Mustang GT 390. Here is a video, take a look from about 60 seconds. That is a sexy car if you ask me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE-ld7gPtj8&feature=related

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
I am not so fan of American cars. They are quite often just a big engine inserted in bombastic chassis, with suspension soft as dessert soufflé. But it is one honourable exception I think. And that is the Mustang known from the 1968 movie Bullit. The Ford Mustang GT 390. Here is a video, take a look from about 60 seconds. That is a sexy car if you ask me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE-ld7gPtj8&feature=related
I thought you were the Beamer kind of guy...?