Servo Motors and Centering

jproject

Joined May 12, 2011
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if there is a way to center the servo motor any way without using a sensor and when I mean centering, I mean a certain side always facing the front, not centering as in configuring to get the servo to stop moving at a certain pulse width. Here is the servo motor I am using: Parallax (Futaba) Continuous Rotation Servo

and here is a link to the manual of the motor:

http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/motors/900-00008-CRServo-v2.1.pdf

I will be attaching an 80 cm distance sensor on the servo motor as well.

Thank you.

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
I don't think it's possible to do this without any sensor. Your microcontroller will be controlling the PWM and if you want to stop the motor at a certain point, you will have to give the controller an information about its position. However, once you somehow attach a distance sensor to your motor you WILL have this information. Once you calibrated it, you can always stop your motor at the same position.

jproject

Joined May 12, 2011
Hm... it looks like I'll be adding a line sensor at the bottom of my turning component and draw a white line at the bottom on a black surface to pin point the center for the servo motor. Anyone have better ideas?

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
How about using a normal servo and a couple of gears if you want something that is capable of rotating 180 degrees either side of centre.