Series DC Circuits Q1

freeman3

Joined Jul 23, 2013
Hello,

I'm trying to understand the follow-up question to the first question on this.

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/worksheets/dc_s.html

Unfortunately, it's hopelessly vague to those of us learning this by ourselves.

Can anyone help me understand what the author is trying to get at here in loads vs sources? I don't believe these two terms were introduced in this chapter.

Thank you!

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I don't know if it helps, but a source is a component in which the voltage goes UP as the current passes through it whereas voltage DROPS with flow across a load. So a source is like a pump that increases water pressure as the water passes through, whereas a load is like a spray nozzle. High voltage (pressure) is needed to push the current through the load resistance.

Water is a very handy analogy for voltage (pressure), current (flow rate) and resistance (pressure drop). But it can be very confusing for more complex topics (inductance, for instance) and is no longer used in schools because it can be more confusing than it is worth.

freeman3

Joined Jul 23, 2013
I don't know if it helps, but a source is a component in which the voltage goes UP as the current passes through it whereas voltage DROPS with flow across a load. So a source is like a pump that increases water pressure as the water passes through, whereas a load is like a spray nozzle. High voltage (pressure) is needed to push the current through the load resistance.

Water is a very handy analogy for voltage (pressure), current (flow rate) and resistance (pressure drop). But it can be very confusing for more complex topics (inductance, for instance) and is no longer used in schools because it can be more confusing than it is worth.

That helps alot actually. It makes sense now that their definitions would change depending on the polarity of the measurement.