serial LED display PCB with PIC32

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
had an idea today for that, just soldering the display directly to the PCB adapter. Don't even need wires, just a pin header for the other side.

And flash a firmware so it can be used as serial display.

One thing is, PIC32 is 3V only so it won't be totally bright.

You can reflash anytime with a small application (the PICs I used for that are 16K only, 4K steps, and 4K RAM).

Actually only 2 caps are needed I tried and AD Vcc must be connected. Internal oscillator even with PLL.

But I am not sure if it can handle enough current for the LED display to light up well.

How much should I charge for a completed module? Of course I'd also need a plugin PCB so the ICSP holes are solder-free.

I am too lazy to fabricate another LED 7seg PCB- the one I made needs tiny TSSOP IC and that's awful to solder.

But isn't it much easier- just take a preprogrammed chip ad use serial port, or use the supplied source code with 7seg drive?

I think 10 dollars or so, could do it for 8 but still needs some components, capacitors, testing, flashing and all that.

If I sell many I use the profits to make another PCB :)

It's even possible to use 8bit TQFP that way but the one's with serial port are same cost as PIC32 and can't really do much. I don't want to stockpile such 8bit PICs anymore.

16F59 is an option but that needs software serial port, and that scares many users away because it's more complicated to use.

One other alternative is a new, cheap 8 pin PIC with serial port, and to use shifting registers. Cheaper than a large PIC with serial port. But a lot of effort to design PCB + fixed to one display type. That's a big disadvantage of course.

If I get many replies, I make a prototype soon, otherwise, 7segs are just stockpiling here, dont really use them at all.

Attachments

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
OK actually due to the layout of the PIC32 pins, it's not possible, also the SMD adapter has 2 rows.

Also the OLEDs arrived today, much smaller than I thought, almost same size as a 0.36" 7-seg display with 4 digits.

So I will use the 16K PICs for monochrome displays and see how it goes.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Before you rush to make a commercial project, check ebay.

They have lots of "serial displays". Some with LCDs, some with 7-seg. :)

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
All expensive. I dont really need 7seg, made a lot of circuits, but dont use it anymore. Even character LCD is not used anymore. Got very small OLEDs now, just arrived today.

I will use the PIC I soldered today with Nokia 5110, and see how far I get with 16K.