Serial Data from a mouse ?

Dammi

Joined Feb 15, 2011
Hi guys

I was wondering what kind of a signal does a Laser USB mouse give? Does it send serial signals like the old ones did?

The reason for this question is that I want to be able to control a pen with a mouse (using 2 stepper motors forming an XY plane) and I was trying to get the mouse working with HypeTerminal, although I just tried it for a few minutes I didn't find what COM port the mouse was sending too (if any) and in the Device Manager it's not listed on any COM ports. How would I then be able to work with the data from the mouse?

Any help is greatly appreciated! :)

John P

Joined Oct 14, 2008
I'm not sure if this is likely to be helpful, but if you're writing code for any kind of Windows program, there will certainly be ways to grab the mouse position. Then you can process that data and send it out to the control apparatus to run your motors.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
I'm not sure if this is likely to be helpful, but if you're writing code for any kind of Windows program, there will certainly be ways to grab the mouse position. Then you can process that data and send it out to the control apparatus to run your motors.
very good point actually...