Separate mixed Power Signal into two wires, for my project "Death Beam 2.0"

dr.evil

Joined Aug 18, 2010
Sorry, I haven't been able to follow this forum for some years, I have been lying in a Cryo state thanks to that blithering idiot Mr. Powers.

Anyway, I'm back with a vengeance, and now I need to finish my "laser" once and for all.

I have a power signal with a 5V DC level, and on occasion there are some sinusoidal bursts of (max 1 ms) at ~1KHz with a ±100V amplitude.

Now, I would like to separate the burst from the DC level. by separating I mean into two separate wires, not just put a cap on and block DC, I need both signals. Can anyone of my supporters here for world domination guide me in the right direction?

Evil regards
Dr.Evil

Marley

Joined Apr 4, 2016
Well, I don't support world domination but filters are what you need. On the 5VDC power output you need a series inductor followed by a parallel capacitor. This will stop the 1kHz from getting through. BTW: the inductor may have to be quite large in that it needs to have a large enough inductance and a very low DC resistance. Depends on the 5VDC current.
On the sinewave output you need a series capacitor and a parallel resistor (to charge the capacitor to the initial 5V and remove and residual DC).

dr.evil

Joined Aug 18, 2010
Well, I don't support world domination but filters are what you need.
My dear, all that help me to achieve my life long ambition will be spared and have a place in my world domination HQ, where willing virgins will serve wine and food from an cornucopia all day (and night) long, and NO taxes. Your coupon code is: "SAVEME"

However the problem with your kind suggestion is that 5v and 1KHz is on the SAME WIRE, I want to separate them into TWO WIRES.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Put your DC + 1 Khz in on the left side of this circuit below and DC will come out the right side.
upload_2017-9-15_21-49-1.png

Also feed your DC + 1 kHz signal into the left side of the circuit below and take your 1 kHz signal from the right side.
upload_2017-9-15_21-50-8.png

dr.evil

Joined Aug 18, 2010
Dick, I like your signature.

I'm not absolutely sure it will do the trick, since the 5v and 1KHz come from two different sources, like this:

EDIT: Seems I can't upload pictures, here's the circuit https://ibb.co/jabFdk

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

When you are having trouble with uploading files to the system, disable the flash uploader:

options in profile.png

Here is the image you wanted to post:

evil_Screenshot_from_2017_09_15_17_06_35.png

Bertus

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
You can also use the high pass and low pass filters to combine the two signals so the two generators (5V and 1 kHz) do not "hurt" each other, after being combined they can be sent down a cable and split back out at the other end.

dr.evil

Joined Aug 18, 2010
Thank you Dick,

Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done about the way the DC + 1KHz are connected, this is what I have to work with, they are part of a bigger thingamajig.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

@Marley already gave you an idea in post #2.
Here is a sketch of his idea:

signal splitter.png

As said, the frequency of the AC is quite low, so a large inductor must be used.

Bertus