sensors to find torque , speed and output power

rhodes

Joined Mar 10, 2010
Hi rhodes here,
I am working on a project that involves finding torque , speed and power output from a generator. and transfer the signal from the sensors to a information logger and connect to the computer to display the results.
I have found the information logger... but its been hard to find sensors requiring to measure the quantities such as speed, torque, and power output generator.couls you suggest me some circuits that perform that operation or some cheaper electronic sensors that do the job.
waiting for your reply

regards
rhodes

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
About the torque: there are two ways to measure it: on the shaft and on the body of the motor.

On the shaft it is done by measuring the deformation of some element "in series" with the load, usually by comparing the angle of the shaft before and after the deforming element.

The other way could be easier to incorporate in the design if the generator is not too large. You just measure the force that holds the generator in place, which is proportional to gravity+torque. Less accurate, but doesn't require cutting the shaft and mounting the torque meter.

rhodes

Joined Mar 10, 2010
thanks for the information guys!
would you be able to give some sensor circuits that measure the above quantities

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
That depends on the sensor. I have no idea how the sensor works or what is its output and sensitivity, but it should generaly be an instrumentation amplifier.