Sensors and LEDS

charlottelilyward

Joined May 21, 2013
I need some advice in relation to a project I am currently doing.

In the circuit there would be two LEDS, one would be turned on and one off, when movement is sensed the light that was on would turn off and the alternate light would then illuminate. I am having trouble working out how to build this circuit as I am a novice to electronics !

The sensor would only need to sense a distance within 40cm.

Any help or advice would be appreciated, and clear simple descriptions would help, as like I said Im a novice!

Thanks
Charlotte : )

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
I assume that each time motion is detected, the lights reverse. Sounds like a toggle flip-flop is required & light drivers.

c.marsh

Joined May 16, 2009
i guess it really depends on your background, if you have experience with writing code i've discovered that using atmel chips (primarily the attiny85) and writing code for it they are amazingly easy to work with.

I used an arduino to program my chip and i'm working on motion activated lighting for an aquaintance now. what he'll end up with is a small circuit with a chip in the middle, some led's coming off it, a PIR sensor and 2 1.5v coin batteries. all in all VERY small circuit and power source.

On the other hand, you can go entirely hardware.