sensor for continous motion

engkeat

Joined Aug 18, 2008
hi everyone,
my design is a continuous motion device (lifting up and down) with certain range of motion (degrees). i need a sensor so that the moving base will change the direction of lifting when it reach the range limit. any suggestion for the sensor to be used?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The kind of sensor depends on the construction.
How much space do you have to mount a sensor?
For information on sensors take a look at this page.
http://www.educypedia.be/electronics/sensors.htm

there are more kinds of sensors on these pages.
Sensors: Capacitive sensors Inductive sensors Piezo Displacement sensors Infra red sensors Pressure sensors Temperature sensor types Encoders and resolvers Magnetoresistive sensors Reed switches Thermocouple General overview Miscellaneous Temperature: PT100-RTD Tilt Sensors Hall sensor Optical sensors Temperature sensors Ultrasonic sensors
Greetings,
Bertus

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
hi everyone,
my design is a continuous motion device (lifting up and down) with certain range of motion (degrees). i need a sensor so that the moving base will change the direction of lifting when it reach the range limit. any suggestion for the sensor to be used?
If the construction is made of metal use an inductive proximity sensor. If it is made of other material then use a capacitive or infrared proximity sensor.

kammenos

Joined Aug 3, 2008
you may use a rotary encoder, a linear magnetic encoder or a gear and two capacitance sensors. The first one is expensive but extremely accurate. The seccond one is also accurate and expensive. The third one is not to measure distance or something, is just to check the direction of rotation. Which one would you like to use?

engkeat

Joined Aug 18, 2008
the range of motion of my device is within 0° to 130° , with adjustable angle range of ±5° , meaning that if we set 30°, the moving base will move from 0° to 30°, then change the direction of lifting. so i need a sensor that enable me to adjust its initial location according to the favour angle range .
the size of the moving base is basically similar with the size of the lower arm.the mechanical design is basically consist of a stationary base and a moving base . i need a sensor to detect the position of the moving base..

my rough idea is to fix it at the pivot. the favour angle range is set by adjusting the two movable "needle sensor" initially, my problem is what type of sensor can i used to detect if the moving base have reached the angle that i set previously