Sensor connection to Arduino

TheChickenMaster

Joined Oct 28, 2008
Hi everybody!
I'm a newb in the world of electronic, and i'm working on a robot for a school project. I'm doing well, but i'm facing a basic problem. I got a Arduino Diecimila and three Sharp GP2Y0D340K IR range Sensors, and I wonder how to (physically) connect them together. So, is somebody could give me a tip?
Thanks
TheChickenMaster

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
All three sensors can share a common power and ground line. Each must have its own 1 uF capacitor and 1 ohm resistor. And each has to have a separate input line for the distance pulse.

TheChickenMaster

Joined Oct 28, 2008
Alright, this is very usefull to know tks. But I was talking about wich kind of wireing should I use, as i said : i'm a beginner in electronic.
But still thank you man!

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Sorry, but "which kind of wiring" doesn't translate very well. Do you mean solid versus stranded? Any insulated wiring of about 24 ga should work just fine.

Of course, I have no idea about the application of physical layout of your project.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
You can either solder the stuff directly onto the pins (not recommended), or make a printed circuit board to mount the sensors and your choice of connector. The awkward part is the capacitor and resistor each sensor has to have. Nothing in the very poor data document says so, but I would not be surprised to find that both external components need to be close to their sensor.

Here is a link to a thread that discusses making printed circuit boards - http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=15033.