Send and receive RAW messages to the ECU with an MCP2515 CAN Controller, automotive UDS diagnostic

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
Hi guys!

I am a bit new to the CAN devices, so I want to confirm and expand my knowledge. I want to be able to send and receive RAW messages in the form of "10 03", "22 48 00" and receive the response from the ECU which should be "50 03", "62 48 00 DATA".

Can this be done with the MCP2515 CAN Controller. I see that its an SPI interface to CAN. Perhaps its possible to use a PIC microcontroller in order to connect.

Path to send the message.
Software sends the request -> laptop -> USB -> PIC microcontroller -> SPI to MCP2515 -> to CAN.

The reverse path to receive the message:
CAN -> MCP2515 to SPI -> PIC microcntoller -> USB -> laptop -> software visualizes the "CAN message received".

How ever since its ugly to connect the wires directly, I need some connector from CAN to CAN, at the last position. Do you have any suggestions.

This is the hardware part. I will also need the software part, which will send the information to the USB(how to identify which USB is used) from where the PIC microcontroller will transfer it along the line. On the opposite route, I will receive a message from the CAN through the MCP 2515 which should be visualised by the software. It can be a simple software, only send, receive. I need to use "CAN IDs" for send and receive, but I don't know how they fit exactly?

Can explain, as I am not that familiar with CAN and ECUs.

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
You may want to start your adventure with the CAN shield DEV13262 which uses the MCP2515 chip I believe. Go to sparkfun and you will find a lot of information there. What is it you are trying to do?

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
Send and receive "RAW" messages to the ECU through a laptop. I can add a "keyboad" and do it directly from the PIC, with not USB, but I want to use the laptop.

EDIT:
I see that 2 arduinos can communicate with 2 MCP2515 chips, why can't I connet the MCP2515 to the CAN directly? There should be a way to include it on the CAN BUS with certain IDs as the address for send and receive?

2 Arduinos communicating with MCP2515.

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
Ok, since I see there is no interest, and this hould be an easy topic. Is there any program which will select the "USB port"(probably named "COM port 7") and send data over it as I want? There might an already created software for that that we can use in our development? Some ready program for using a real "COM port for RS232" communication to the PIC microcontroller will be good too. I remember seeing such software on this forum.

This is even better than a "PIC microcontroller". All thats left is the software.

Last edited:

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
Still waiting to hear what it is you want to achieve in the end? Are you hacking automotive software, adding upgrades, what is it you are trying to achieve?
There are numerous threads on here of people wanting to get onto the CAN bus for various reasons. You will find many have given up because ofthe proprietary nature of it. I might suggest you do a lot of reading on this before you spend a lot of money. There are things you can do and things you cant. If you just want to observe data, buy a CAN sniffer.

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
All I want is to send and receive RAW messages for the ECU. The idea to get hooked to the CAN is because I have problems with the current tools which are not working with the "64bit version of the software". A secondary software and communication to the CAN, will be useful. Otherwise I can connect through the standard tools and hardware. I don't need to access sensitive data, mostly ambient conditions, adaptations and such.

Services used 0x22, 0x19, 0x11, 0x10.

EDIT:
Current tools that I have are: Vector and others.

Last edited: