Selecting a microcontroller/DSP for Data aquisition from sensors and control

abhaymv

Joined Aug 6, 2011
Hey guys!

I need to select a microcontroller (or would a digital signal processor be better?) for the following:

• Planning to incorporate temperature control of a small area (abt 6 cmX 6 cm) with a Peltier element. So I need to:
    • Get a specific value of temperature from a laptop to the microcontroller.
    • Get the temperature of the platform cooled via a temperature sensor (probably an IC sensor from TI.)
    • Compare the difference and output a control signal (possibly a PWM) that can be used to increase/decrease the temperature of the area as per the need.
  • The current waveform output from a photodiode needs to be transferred to the laptop (like a CRO?). Since the current wf is analog, I would guess that this requires an ADC. Need one with pretty good precision too.
  • I also need to get sample values of voltage and current from a solar cell at regular intervels of time. (To get its V-I chara).
While I have interfaced before, I'm still pretty new to this. What MC or DSP should I use? :confused: Help please. :D

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Need one with pretty good precision too.
I also need to get sample values of voltage and current from a solar cell at regular intervels of time.
You need to specify some numbers.
What do you mean by "pretty good precision"?
What is a "regular interval of time"?

abhaymv

Joined Aug 6, 2011
Poor choice of words, sorry. What I want is to plot a V-I chara from a bunch of sample points. These sample points are taken by charging a capacitor from a solar cell. I need equidistant points along the I-V curve. So I want to get the values of current and voltage of a solar cell loading a capacitor at say, ten different points. So can this be done? I'll give the details on precision soon. Searching for more data on that.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Poor choice of words, sorry. What I want is to plot a V-I chara from a bunch of sample points. These sample points are taken by charging a capacitor from a solar cell. I need equidistant points along the I-V curve. So I want to get the values of current and voltage of a solar cell loading a capacitor at say, ten different points. So can this be done? I'll give the details on precision soon. Searching for more data on that.
Still poor choice of words.

"equidistant points along the I-V curve". This is not going to happen. Think about it.

"say, ten different points". What will separate each pair of points? There are two axes. Think about it.

You cannot move forward until you put down some numbers.