1. We will be in Read Only mode (no new threads, replies, registration) for several hours as we migrate the forums to upgraded software.

selectable gain with analog switch

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Lupu, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Lupu

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Hello,

I am trying to build a selectable gain circuit with 74HC4066 and a LM324 op-amp.
    (the 4066 is used to shunt two out of three resistors that set the gain of the op-amp )

But i have trouble with the OFF impedance of the analog switch:
    - [OK] when control pin (pin13) is pulled high the impedance between i/o gate is lower then 100Ω which is what I was expecting from the data sheet
    - [Problem] when pulled low(GND) i get around 10kΩ between the same i/o pins( pin1 & pin2) which is extremely low,
    I was expecting something beyond 1MΩ (although the datasheet doesn't say anything about this)
    so instead of two resistors 5kΩ and >1M in parallel i get 5kΩ and 10kΩ.

I attached the schematic of the test circuit where i took these measurements.
    Any advise is welcome since i am stuck with this for a couple of days already.
    Thank you

2. Audioguru

Expert

Dec 20, 2007
    The 74HC4066 is Cmos. Then EVERY unused input must be connected to V+ or 0V.

When an input is used then it must be biased between 0V and V+ but is usually half the supply voltage for audio. Then when a switch is turned off it passes almost no signal.

The datasheet shows that it has a small capacitance from input to output and when it is turned off then this capacitance couples high frequencies from input to output.