Seeking Help with Tamron MP3010M-EV Camera Module Integration

gorv7

Joined Oct 9, 2019
I’m working on a project that involves integrating the Tamron MP3010M-EV camera module into my application. My goal is to operate the camera via a USB 3.0 connection while supplying power solely through the USB jack. However, I’m facing some challenges, and I’d appreciate any insights or suggestions from the community.

Camera Module Overview:

The Tamron MP3010M-EV is an ultra-compact 10x camera module with improved performance and utility.
Key features:
10x optical zoom
Sony STARVIS™ high-sensitivity image sensor
Supports the VISCA protocol (essential for my application)
Integration Challenges:

USB 3.0 Communication:
The camera module doesn’t natively support USB 3.0.
Options to explore:
Use a USB-to-UART bridge (e.g., FT232H) to communicate with the camera via UART and send VISCA commands.
Consider UVC (USB Video Class) for video streaming (convert HDMI output to UVC format).
Power Supply:
USB 3.0 doesn’t provide sufficient power for the camera module.
External power source (separate power adapter) is needed.
STM32G030C6T6 MCU Constraints:
The MCU lacks dedicated peripherals for direct camera control.
Explore alternative communication methods (UART, SPI, or I2C).
Consider upgrading to a more capable MCU if feasible.
Additional Connectors on the Camera Module:

There are two mysterious connectors on the camera module.
Unfortunately, no documentation provides details about their purpose.
Suggestions:
Probe the connectors with a multimeter or oscilloscope.
Seek community insights or contact Tamron directly.

I’m open to any advice, code snippets, or experiences related to integrating the Tamron MP3010M-EV camera module. Your expertise will be invaluable in overcoming these challenges. Thank you in advance!

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
You are not going to get a lot of response to you questions with the sparse bit of information you have provided. You tell us that you want to operate the camera remotely. It has many adjustable functions, so which ones do you want to to control? Do you have any documentation from the manufacturer? Have you asked them for more information?
You mention that USB3 can not supply the power the camera needs, therefor it needs an alternative supply. Is that a problem?

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
I was going to read all 79 pages of the manual then I realized I have a life
USB 3.0 doesn’t provide sufficient power for the camera module.
How much power does it need? I am running my Raspberry Pi from USB 3 power supply.
The camera module doesn’t natively support USB 3.0.
Just because the connector is USB3 does not indicate the camera knows usb3. Plug it into a computer and the computer will see a USB2 camera and work with it.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
I was going to read all 79 pages of the manual then I realized I have a life

How much power does it need? I am running my Raspberry Pi from USB 3 power supply.

Just because the connector is USB3 does not indicate the camera knows usb3. Plug it into a computer and the computer will see a USB2 camera and work with it.
It will need power to run the motors that control the focus and aperture.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The camera does not support USB because that would be a really poor choice for camera control. It is fine for printers and scanners and mouse applications and similar office applications. It is useless for a camera interface. A camera control interface may be available, and even applicable to the project, depending on what you want to accomplish with it.
Based on the picture, the camera will need a protective enclosure and probably some mechanism to point it at whatever is to be watched. If it is for any form of industrial application probably NTSC is not the best choice. Automated inspection needs faster image transfer. And in most applications a camer needs to have the lighting under control.

Last edited: