Seeking DC motors.

Nova5

Joined Sep 19, 2009
Looking for DC motors with a physical resistence to movement when unpowered. Is this even possible?

I am installing a set of turning lights in my car, I need to have them deploy and retract, I already have my wiring harness for this function designed. I just need to find a motor capable of holding against 30MPH winds.

One more relay will be installed that will only allow them to operate when the headlights are on.

The reason i'm doing this is after upgrading my cars lighting from horrible halogen sealed beam lights (1.5"x5" each) to HID Bi-Xenon Projectors(this alone was an amazing result, no longer did i wonder at 3am... Are my lights ON!?) I find the idea of lighting up the area i'm going to turn into desireable. Rather not run over some dimwit who decided to wear all dark colors in the dead of night.

Last edited:

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
To extend & retract lights you no dought will use gear reduction motor's , a worm drive of 7:1 or greator would be most difficult to move with out power.

rjenkins

Joined Nov 6, 2005
A scrapyard could be a good place to start.

Some vehicles already have servo motors on the headlights to adjust levelling from the dashboard. These already have the closed-loop feedback system to work from a pot in the dash.

The commonest ones though are probably electric window motors - many cars have these, they are quite powerful and designed to hold against a fair bit of weight.

Some just have mechanical limit switches, however others have some form of position encoder as the control 'learns' the end limits from the motor stall current. This has been in some (all?) Fords from around 2000.