Seeking a dynamic braking circuit for my wind turbine

fabieville

Joined May 25, 2009
I am seeking a dynamic braking circuit that detects either when the voltage or the RPM of my wind turbine motor exceeds a certain limit then it either shorts the output of the wind turbine(but not doing a shunt pulse shorts-cause this would be dangerous to the motor) or it allows the motor to slow down and not exceeding the preset RPM speed of the circuit. In the case of shorting the output when it detects a certain or preset drop in voltage then it should be release and allows to spin again.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Motor braking may be less effective than feathering the blades. It may be that using the right materials for the blades they become self-feathering. Turning the blade disk off the wind can also reduce RPM.

sissow2

Joined Jul 14, 2009
This sounds like something youd have to do with a microcontroller and an encoder. Motor control loops arent that complex and normally dont take too long to tune. As for fast braking, why not just short the terminals of the motor? Its something an H-bridge is supposed to do, anyway

fabieville

Joined May 25, 2009
I am looking for a schematic to maKE The circuit. Could you please tell me a site that have one or where me can buy one. As for the shorts circuit i need it to operate automatically and then release when the voltage or Rpm drop below a certain value.

Last edited: