second 12V batteries

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
Ooops, I mean to type *Second hand 12v batteries*

Hi guys

Hope you all have a wonderful Christmas and New Year holiday.

I am looking for a couple of same type/model 12V batteries for my Segway clone project. Any suggestion where I can find two of these? I am hoping no small than 4AH.

The new one are a bit too expensive for me.

Thanks guys!

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
How much do you want to spend? I don't know of any specifically, but if you provide some details, I can check a couple places like Craig's list, etc.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Chances are slim of finding good ones.

I'm always dealing with scooter projects.

Used batteries show up on CL from hospital, and timed UPS replacements.

They are out dated and don't have much life left in them.

Best buys are Ebay for me. Half what they are locally.

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
How much do you want to spend? I don't know of any specifically, but if you provide some details, I can check a couple places like Craig's list, etc.
I would love to get them free is possible, but other than that, I would like to spend as little as possible, as it is only a prototype, I only want to buy some new ones if it works.

So it doesn't matter if they only last for 10 minutes.

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
Chances are slim of finding good ones.

I'm always dealing with scooter projects.

Used batteries show up on CL from hospital, and timed UPS replacements.

They are out dated and don't have much life left in them.

Best buys are Ebay for me. Half what they are locally.
What is CL from hospital, what is CL? Thanks I will look for second hand UPS, as mention above, life isn't important for my prototype.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Yes craigs list.

There are always ads from people who work at a hospital or for utility company.

They get the batteries for free. Test them as best they know how, and offer them for sale.

As it's just for testing. Great source.

Might even list a "wanted" ad.

Do you have similar free ads?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I would love to get them free is possible, but other than that, I would like to spend as little as possible, as it is only a prototype, I only want to buy some new ones if it works.

So it doesn't matter if they only last for 10 minutes.
Free??? You are kidding right???? Who would give away free batteries? Even a totally dead battery has at least some value in it's lead.

Remember you get what you pay for. Last thing you want is your Segway to die while you were out some place. Besides a quality battery would eliminate the battery as a source of any issues.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
Free??? You are kidding right???? Who would give away free batteries? Even a totally dead battery has at least some value in it's lead.
Remember you get what you pay for. Last thing you want is your Segway to die while you were out some place. Besides a quality battery would eliminate the battery as a source of any issues.
I replace my UPS batteries every 2years as a preventative measure. I buy first-quality stuff but don't want our frequent power burps to foul my mood. I donate the used ones to local RC airplane guys (to power their handheld starters), local tech schools for projects, solar experimenters etc. For me, its not worth the time to try to recover a few $$ scrap/core value when others can get some use out of them.

Depending on the recycling laws you have, it can be advantageous to pass along a mid-time battery to someone who has relaxed requirements rather than paying a disposal fee.

I agree with your position on having good stuff when you need to depend on it though e.g. the Segway (and my UPSs).

Last edited:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I've been buying batteries for decades and always buy new. It's the only way to have some idea of the value you are paying for, AH per dollar, and even get some sort of guarantee of that. I wouldn't give you 2¢ (over scrap value) for a used one because I have no way of evaluating the AH per dollar. Pig in a poke. Given the fact that the seller likely knows more about the value than the buyer does, a buyer's chance of getting good value is reduced.

The value of a battery, in theory, falls in proportion to its capacity until it reaches its scrap value at zero remaining capacity. A fairly priced used battery will give you the same AH per dollar as a new one.

So what you need to look for are batteries that are not fairly priced, ones that are heavily discounted. Good luck with that.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Ooops, I mean to type *Second hand 12v batteries*

Hi guys

Hope you all have a wonderful Christmas and New Year holiday.

I am looking for a couple of same type/model 12V batteries for my Segway clone project. Any suggestion where I can find two of these? I am hoping no small than 4AH.

Thanks guys!
If you're anywhere near a computer end user disposals warehouse, a bit of dumpster diving might bear fruit.

Look for UPS boxes, they often contain one or two SLA batteries - but people often bin the UPS when the electrolyte dries up, so you've probably got a choice between a bit of bodging or being persistant with the dumpster diving.