searching for the RPM/CFM of old pc fan

xchcui

Joined May 12, 2014
wam fan.JPG
Hi.

I would like to replace an old pc fan as you may see in the attached photo.
The size is 80X80X25mm 12V/0.14A.The unknown parameters are the RPM/CFM value.
I made a long and deep search in the web,but i coulding find them.
Does anyone familiar with this brand and know the CFM and the RPM parameters?

Thanks.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
For comparisons on the amount of air movement (CFM), one criteria is the number of blades and the size and width of the fan frame.
If you have access to Digikey, search dc fans, there are many to pick from.
Max.

View attachment 170575
Hi.

Thanks.
Given that you have not been able to find it online, you have little choice but to search for one that has similarities....80X80X25mm 12V/0.14A and from your picture, you can see that it is sensorless (only has two wires).

Here is, what I think is a good candidate and also old and EOL
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Sanyo-Denki/109R0812T4H12?qs=Ldb7c5mTB16JYuC2PO%2b36A==

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
A replacement however is most likely to be electronically commutated DC, there are quite a few on the Digikey site, such as the Sanyo-Denki, they have three conductors, Red & Blk for supply and a yellow if a sensor is required.
If the physical dimensions are matched, it will be a close match for CFM.
The search for DC Muffin fans would also get links.
DigiKey 1688-1576-ND
Max.

I am going to stick to my original recommendation. The OP has a run-of-the-mill, older PC type 8025, 2 wire, brushless fan. You will see a variety of current listings (.12-.20) but I do not think it will be difficult to replace, including with the suggestion I linked.

Even Amazon and Ebay have these listed.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
About 11 or 12 years ago I did some experiments using a similar Antec fan. The standard 80 X 80 MM by 25 MM. They averaged about 2600 RPM and 34 CFM with some around 2740 RPM drawing about 157 mA. The ones I tested were 3 wire with a tach out signal of 2 pulses per rev. My guess would be most similar will fall in there somewhere but they are not exactly a high end device with predictable results. When I did this I used an adjustable power supply and noticed the fan speed was proportional in a pretty linear fashion to the applied voltage and the fan current pretty closely followed the voltage. With voltage reduced to 6 volts the current was about 75 mA. So take it for what it's worth or not worth.

Ron

About 11 or 12 years ago I did some experiments using a similar Antec fan. The standard 80 X 80 MM by 25 MM. They averaged about 2600 RPM and 34 CFM with some around 2740 RPM drawing about 157 mA. The ones I tested were 3 wire with a tach out signal of 2 pulses per rev. My guess would be most similar will fall in there somewhere but they are not exactly a high end device with predictable results. When I did this I used an adjustable power supply and noticed the fan speed was proportional in a pretty linear fashion to the applied voltage and the fan current pretty closely followed the voltage. With voltage reduced to 6 volts the current was about 75 mA. So take it for what it's worth or not worth.

Ron
Pardon the tangent: Hey Ron - did you see my mention about Microcenter? Have you ever been to one?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Pardon the tangent: Hey Ron - did you see my mention about Microcenter? Have you ever been to one?
Micro Center was a regular stop for me. There is one located between where I worked and home just a little off the freeway. There is also one located in the Columbus, Ohio area not far from my sister's house. Between Micro-Center and New Egg I bought a small mountain of stuff. :) I really like Micro-Center.

I haven't been there for awhile but have thought about it as my wife's computer just failed a few days ago and it was one I built maybe 6 years ago. Then too, unless something is pressing I have been using Amazon Prime lately.

Ron

Yeah, this thread reminded me...not too long ago, a PC fan was going and I was groaning about have to go online and get one and wait. Instead, I just went to Microcenter and actually had my choice of several.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
View attachment 170575
Hi.

Thanks.

You are going about the problem all wrong. Who cares about the parameters of the old fan? It could have been wrong all along and the cooling needs may have changed over time. Figure out how much air you need to move to get the cooling results that you need.

Last edited:

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
You are going about the problem all wrong. Who cares about the parameters of the old fan? It could have been wrong all along and the cooling needs may have changed over time. Fifure out how much air you need to move to get the cooling results that you need.
That's really a good point. Figure the volume of air in a box and how fast you want to move it in and out. Then find a fan which meets your requirements.

Ron

xchcui

Joined May 12, 2014
Thanks for all the responses.
So,i understand that i can replace the old pc fan with any other pc fans,as
long as it will be the same size(8025),the same voltage and the same current,
although,a one with more blades will produce more airflow.
And i don't need to be worry about the cfm value,since all the pc fan in that
size,the same voltage and current have more all less the same cfm value,am i right?
Figure out how much air i need to move to get the cooling results that i need is
a wise solution,but it is not something that i know to do and i prefer not to get in trouble with calculation.
I just would like to replace to a new pc fan with the same parameter as the old one.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I don't think it is going to be super important in this application, as long as the dimensions of the fan body are the same and No. of fan blades close, there won't be alot of difference.
If necessary, you could go with a slightly deeper body thickness.
Max.

Thanks for all the responses.
So,i understand that i can replace the old pc fan with any other pc fans,as
long as it will be the same size(8025),the same voltage and the same current,
although,a one with more blades will produce more airflow.
And i don't need to be worry about the cfm value,since all the pc fan in that
size,the same voltage and current have more all less the same cfm value,am i right?
Figure out how much air i need to move to get the cooling results that i need is
a wise solution,but it is not something that i know to do and i prefer not to get in trouble with calculation.
I just would like to replace to a new pc fan with the same parameter as the old one.
So, you understand what folks have been telling you, but you still just want to "replace to a new pc fan with the same parameter as the old one". That is your choice, but I wish you appreciated the reasons why folks were telling you that you have plenty of wiggle room.

You have been unable to find the exact brand replacement and you have searched extensively. That does not surprise me.

So, now, you need to understand that you only have SOME parameters of the old fan, so those parameters are the ones that you look for - 80X80X25mm 12V/0.14A and from your picture, two wires.

I think that the fan that I linked to in post #3 matched those parameters. You should check the mounting holes sizes.

I think that you are making this more difficult than it needs to be, but it is your choice.

xchcui

Joined May 12, 2014
Yes,of course i am appreciate any help and i study carefully your explanations.
I didn't meant to say(at least not in the last post)that i am looking for the exactly parameter of the old fan.I understand that i can't find the same pc fan exactly,since i don't have all the parameters.
Thanks you all for your help and for your links.:)