Screen Capture

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
Hello,

Do any of you know a program that captures a screen (obviously of another program :D) without capturing also the border (the title bar, minimize bar, etc.)?

There are lots of screen capturing program but yeah they capture also the borders (Like alt + print screen), I just want the exact screen.

I know you can just use snipping tool but yeah, my hands not perfect. There may also be some residue (border) left that I have noticed.

Thank you!

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
Screen Capture is literally Screen Capture. The "border", "Title bar" are all part of the screen. They will be captured.

Try editing the capture using "cropping" where your hands are not the ones to define the "cropping" limits.

Ramesh

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
Screen Capture is literally Screen Capture. The "border", "Title bar" are all part of the screen. They will be captured.

Try editing the capture using "cropping" where your hands are not the ones to define the "cropping" limits.

Ramesh
That is why I specifically said in my post:

Do any of you know a program that captures a screen (obviously of another program ) without capturing also the border (the title bar, minimize bar, etc.)?

P.S. How do you crop without using your hands?

The snipping tool in Win 7 will allow you to snip a single window instead of the whole screen.
I know that. Alternatively you can just hold alt and press Print Screen and then paste it to Paint. But the border is still there. I just want the very inside.

Any help??

Last edited:

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I know that. Alternatively you can just hold alt and press Print Screen and then paste it to Paint. But the border is still there. I just want the very inside.
Guess my suggestion won't work either then, since it includes things like the tabs in the browser window....

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I suggest trying Greenshot. It's a fantastic program that has a lot of options. It is automatically activated when you hit the prtsc button and it has a large magnifying window above your cursor, so you can see exactly where you're putting it. It will help you cut out the borders.

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
Nykolas's suggestion seems to work.

I have attached one and it's very smooth and clear compared to snipping tools.

P.S. Sorry it's very big (filesize).. but yeah it works!!!

But still in others, it does not. It still includes borders.

Last edited:

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Originally Posted by tracecom
The snipping tool in Win 7 will allow you to snip a single window instead of the whole screen.

Any help??
You need not capture the boarder with Snipping Tool. You can select what part of a window to capture.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
You need not capture the boarder with Snipping Tool. You can select what part of a window to capture.
He was saying he doesn't want to manually outline the window because he doesn't have steady hands. The Snipping Tool does not have an automatic window capture that gets just what's inside the border, it can only capture the full screen, full window (including borders), or a user-defined area (which must be outlined manually).

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
Not that not steady but yeah it's not perfect.

I may just zoom and zoom it and then cut it. (zoom=larger=more accurate)

Thanks everyone.!

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011

Thanks everyone.!
Like I said, Greenshot gives you a magnifier with crosshairs that allow you to pinpoint the border exactly. I can't recommend this program enough.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I use CaptureWiz from PixelMetrics. It's not free (has a very generous trial period, though) but it is quite inexpensive. It will automatically guess on which part of the screen you want, but also allows you to very intuitively define your own capture area. One of the nice things about it is that you can set up a capture window and then scroll the screen through it in order to capture stuff that doesn't all fit on the screen at one time. If you've selected one of the identifiable screen areas, then it will automatically scroll and capture the entire window. It has lots of other useful features for people putting together demos, recorded presentations, and the like that I haven't played around with much.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012

Thanks everyone.!
Best idea, zoom, snip, done. It's not all that hard to get the inside of a window. You just drag a box from corner to corner of the area of interest.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I've used the free Camstudio in the past to capture the screen ...especially when doing a simulation in the transient mode.

I've also just did a print screen, paste, save, and then crop the picture.

I've been doing the second recommendation a lot longer than the first.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Hello,

Do any of you know a program that captures a screen (obviously of another program :D) without capturing also the border (the title bar, minimize bar, etc.)?

There are lots of screen capturing program but yeah they capture also the borders (Like alt + print screen), I just want the exact screen.

I know you can just use snipping tool but yeah, my hands not perfect. There may also be some residue (border) left that I have noticed.

Thank you!
Captured the screen ( Alt + Print Scrn) to Clipboard then IrfanView and eventual changes with Paint.

Attachments

Last edited: