SCR Test

roro36

Joined Sep 7, 2010
I,ve posted something similar before, but did not really get a solution. I want to test a thyristor, the puck type that is used in a machine where 600A or so flow through it. I have a whole lot that need a test rig to be made. I want to pass throgh the minimum voltage I can. The SCRs are rated at 1300A and have turn on currents of 200mA and 3V max. Would it be fine to test these using as little as 24V or even 12V? Just to check they are indeed turning on correctly? I have attached a pdf as example, I cant find the exact one. Would a circuit like the one I atttached work ok?

Attachments

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
One minor problem, you are using AC to feed the SCR. This will work, and while the button is pressed the light will light, but as soon as the button is released the light will go out. This may be as you intended.

SCRs will stay conducting until the current reverses. If you were feeding DC into the circuit it would latch and stay on, which is an important characteristic of a SCR. I would have feed DC into it and added a momentary contact button to break the circuit. This would test the latching of the SCR.

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
How fancy do you want this to be? If you want complete automation (no buttons at all) you could use a 556 timer, which is a dual 555.

Test Lamp Indicator shows the following:
Always on: Shorted (Anode to Cathode)
No Indication: Open (Gate to Cathode or Anode to Cathode)
Flashing: Good SCR