SCR NOT trigger

jimkeith

Joined Oct 26, 2011
You can replace an SCR with a MOSFET only if you have rectangular triggering--unfortunately, rectangular triggering is not common--it is generally single pulse or pulse train.

On the schematic provided, it appears that the gate pulse will be too short--to use the MOSFET, you must first determine the ring frequency of the resonant circuit and make sure that the 555 outputs a long enough pulse to run for >½cycle--it also appears that the 555 is wired wrong for astable operation--top of lower 270Ω resistor should connect to pin 7, rather than +12V.

A series rectifier protects against reverse voltage--this is a common arrangement--for best performance, use fast recovery rectifiers

My suggestion: Use the SCR--they will work well for the application and do not have the complications introduced with the MOSFET..

mostafa_gordy

Joined Feb 28, 2012
You can replace an SCR with a MOSFET only if you have rectangular triggering--unfortunately, rectangular triggering is not common--it is generally single pulse or pulse train.

On the schematic provided, it appears that the gate pulse will be too short--to use the MOSFET, you must first determine the ring frequency of the resonant circuit and make sure that the 555 outputs a long enough pulse to run for >½cycle--it also appears that the 555 is wired wrong for astable operation--top of lower 270Ω resistor should connect to pin 7, rather than +12V.

A series rectifier protects against reverse voltage--this is a common arrangement--for best performance, use fast recovery rectifiers

My suggestion: Use the SCR--they will work well for the application and do not have the complications introduced with the MOSFET..
hi . firstly, sorry for poor english .
my bridge diode is blow up(perhaps high current flowing in diode) :confused:and scr is latch up and do not turn off . :mad:
circuit need resistor ?whats resistor is helpful ? whats location of resistor?
replace switching section of circuit is need?
totem-poll ? or push-pull?

Attachments

Last edited: