1. We will be in Read Only mode (no new threads, replies, registration) for several hours as we migrate the forums to upgraded software.

SCR Calculations

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by jlacharite, Dec 1, 2007.

1. jlacharite

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Hey everyone, I'm new here so bear with me ;).... I've got some calculations to do on an SCR firing circuit, I need to determine V_in based on the criteria given in the attachement. I don't know how to solve this circuit, any help is always greatly appreciated. Thanks

J

2. Nara Shikamaru

Nov 24, 2007
  3. jlacharite

Dec 1, 2007
    hmmmm, i read your posts but I didn't see any calculations, Im trying to solve for V_in based on the two resistor values and Vcc @ 15v. How do you apply V_gt, I_gt and I_h to solve for V_in. Thanks again.

4. Nara Shikamaru

Nov 24, 2007
    if you have a R680ohms and you need minimum Ig =9mA so…
    Vin = 9mA* 680ohms = 6.12V

That’s the voltage you need across the gate and the cathode….to activate the scr....i already prove it in my protoboard...and it works....i triggered a 12VDC Fan motor...so i hope its what you nedd....if not then dont hesitate to post again...see ya

5. Nara Shikamaru

Nov 24, 2007
    heres an schematic of what i did with your circuit....

6. jlacharite

Dec 1, 2007
    Hey thanks a lot, I wasnt sure.... but that was the value I calculated too (without knowing it ;)) That really helps, what would the value of Vcc (15v) have to be to turn the SCR off? thanks again!

Jesse