SCR based rectifier regulator for Battery Charging

alexuma

Joined Jun 24, 2008
Thanks a lot for replying.

Any schematic is available with anyone for Rectifier-Regulator circuit ?

I was even trying to simulate using SCRs as rectifiers and then just a zener diode for regulation but it seems it may NOT work as SCR may heat up to dead !

Any suggestions ?

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Greetings! And welcome to AAC!

The Projects Collection (as opposed to The Projects Forum) is for sharing completed projects. I've moved your post into The Projects Forum, where it will draw more responses.

Good luck with your project!

alexuma

Joined Jun 24, 2008
I am trying to develop a circuit which can charge 12 V lead-acid battery automatically from Car/engine's ALTERNATOR.

I have simulated 2-3 designs but still not satisfied with it !
Can we use 1N1001 diodes for rectification part ?

Well, any response or idea will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
1N4001's are good for the voltages, but not the currents. Something more like a 1N1206. Choose the diode based on the total current drawn.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Gee, most alternators have built-in 3-phase full-wave rectifier bridges and regulators nowadays. You really don't have to design an external circuit - just connect it up and spin the alternator.

There's a catch though - the battery can't be completely dead. There needs to be enough current left in the battery to energize the rotor winding.

If you're going to use discrete rectifiers, you're going to have to figure out how to keep them cool. There will be a good bit of current passing through them.