Scored lucky with a 42" LCD TV

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
WOOT! Well thats good. I have one similar and I have done some research and am led to believe that it is the PSU. Im pretty sure I know not only what to look for or to replace because of what you went though (similar), but an online store sells a kit for this and posts pictures of what it was (the capacitors).
Post a picture of the capacitors. If they look bulged then they are faulty and need replacement. Usually it will be from 4-6 caps failed. In my Xerox monitor there were 6. In this TV there were only 4. It depends but it shouldn't cost any more than £5 to fix per device.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Nice find & fix, Tom!

Tell me, does that circuit board mount horizontally or vertically? The heat sinks they used wouldn't work too well if mounted horizontally, unless there was forced air cooling.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
Nice find & fix, Tom!

Tell me, does that circuit board mount horizontally or vertically? The heat sinks they used wouldn't work too well if mounted horizontally, unless there was forced air cooling.
Thanks. :)

The picture I showed is normal orientation from the back. So those heatsinks point up vertically. There is no fan. The TV certainly does get hot during normal operation. IR thermometer says 51°C for the vents and 39°C for the display itself.

Last edited: