Scope probe with low resistance cable

Oldi

Joined Nov 1, 2013
I'm working on serious project in which I need probe like scope probe, but with low resistance (ohmic not impedance) cable with extreme stable capacitance. Working frequency is in audio range.
Where to get such probe or manufacturer?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Why do you think this extreme low resistance is a requirement for your application?
Why do you think the capacitance of a given cable is "unstable"?
What parameters do you imagine control the capacitance of a cable?

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
I'm working on serious project in which I need probe like scope probe, but with low resistance (ohmic not impedance) cable with extreme stable capacitance. Working frequency is in audio range.
Where to get such probe or manufacturer?
How much money do you have to spend ???

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You can purchase high quality low loss audio cable for higher prices. Personally I really don't know if it makes that much of a difference.

Oldi

Joined Nov 1, 2013
Resistance of 1 ohm is OK (scope probe have few 100). Probe will be for low capacitance measurement with resolution 0.01pF, so must be stable, let say max +- 0.05pF change because of manipulation and heating because of hand. Antenna and audio cable have more then +- 0.1pF because of movement douring measirement different objects.

Oldi

Joined Nov 1, 2013
I can measure with 10PPM precision, so 100pF cable capacitance is not the problem. If is stable ofcourse.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Flexible coax isn't going to be as stable as you require. Try semi-rigid coax:

http://www.micro-coax.com/products/cable/semi-rigid/
"require" or "want"?

OP, what is the goal? It seems that nearly everybody in the history of electronics has done this without the capabilities you are requesting. The surprising thing is, you are asking for these capabilities for the audio range.

Could you help us understand WHY you need the performance standards you specified?

Oldi

Joined Nov 1, 2013
Because of measurement capacitance from 2 to 100pF with at least 0,1pF stability. Audio frequency because of nature of measurement object. I can't tell more.

Semi-rigid is not possible because of life time, cable must be flexible almost like scope probe, RG58 style will be OK.

Maybe cable with aluminum foil? I check one with 3mm diameter for TV aerial, but it's not OK.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Take apart a good quality scope probe (get an old style Tektronix probe), the cable is low capacitance and is has a fairly stable capacitance, much lower and better than coax cable for that purpose. If you don't need a shielded cable, you can merely use a pair of wires (insulated or not) held apart by spacers every couple of cm. Then you can choose your resistance when you select the wire size.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
No scope cable of mine has such a resistance. Regardless of what the OP wants it may not be available to his specifications. I really don't understand anything he has said because it looks and sounds like complete nonsense. Maybe he has some technical insight that the rest of us lack but who can tell? We just can't get a clear idea of what he is trying to accomplish.

Oldi

Joined Nov 1, 2013
I have 5 probes with X1/X10 switch (Pomona, Hitachi and noname). Resistance in X1 position is from 220 to 540ohm. I opened few broken probes (1 from HP) and at all cable have few 100ohm resistance of inner conductor.
That's facts.