Scope Meter?

BReeves

Joined Nov 24, 2012
I may be in the market for a Scope Meter and retire my old Tectonics storage scope. Not something I would use constantly and of course would be looking for the best deal. (read cheap)

Bandwidth isn't critical, getting away with 20mhz now.

Storage would be a plus but not being up on Scope Meters I'm not sure if this is something most have or not. Quite a price range on eBay with what looks like a few pretty good deals from China and Hong Kong but you know that can be a hit or miss..

So tell me what your experience is and help me make a decision?

Thanks...

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I'll speak on Fluke, because that's the only thing worth having IMO.

I was in the market for a scopemeter a couple of years ago, and to paraphrase the weeks worth of information I uncovered in customer reviews, the older scopemeters (Fluke 99B, 123, 95, 96B, et. al.) were a compromise between a DMM and an o-scope, and really weren't a great DMM -OR- O-scope. The best thing to have is a 192, 196, et. al. because they are a legit scope, with some multimeter functions. I used to have a Fluke 196B, and it was really nice. Good scope. Plus the multimeter functions were good and it had the option to record over long time spans on a downloadable strip chart, which made troubleshooting intermittent problems possible. I could leave it hooked up to two suspected failure points and let it run for a few days, until the fault occurred, and correlate that to the chart to figure out what went awry and when.

BReeves

Joined Nov 24, 2012
Thanks for the tip, just bought a Fluke 192 slightly used for $600.00. Not sure if that was a deal or not but seemed like a good enough price to me.