Science Fiction

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
With the exception of the various "Amber" stories, and the excellent "Lord of Light," can anyone here suggest a good Roger Zelazny book for my reading list?

I have a biography of his work, of course. I'm just hoping someone can suggest a title from that list in a vein similar to "Lord of Light."

I've less and less time for fiction these days, so I'm getting more picky about which fiction I read.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
"Creatures of Light and Darkness".

Check out some Charles Stross and Kim Stanley Robinson. Stross does space operas well, and Robinson understands science.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I am a hard core reader of Sci Fi myself. I've had my nose buried in a book most of my life. I prefer hard scifi, and will read fantisy if nothing else is available. I like the early James Hogan. Like Heinlein he changed a bit as he got older, but his "Thrice Upon a Time" and "The Genisus Machine" are classics IMO. Both deal with new discoveries in particle physics, but with very different takes.

Young_SR

Joined Jan 9, 2008
In the event you haven't read them, Philip Jose Farmer's 'World of Tiers' series may be an interesting read for you. I read somewhere that this series was one of the inspirations for Zelazny's Amber series.

Steve

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
If you enjoyed the Mad Max movies, give Sean McMullen a look. Start with "Souls in the Great Machine". More classic fantasy comes from Guy Gavriel Kay. Any of his titles are rewarding.

Last edited:

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
I read the Ringworld books decades ago, along with several stories of "Gil the Arm." I loved 'em! He also had a fine collaboration with Jerry Pournelle called Inferno, in which a science fiction author goes to hell. Literally.