Schematic software for beginners

droggie

Joined Oct 21, 2012
I have recently begun using schematic and circuit simulator software. I find it has helped me understand schematics a lot better. I've been using the java circuit simulator linked below for sometime. The only problem is I cannot seem to save my schematics and it won't let me copy the code to MS Word.

http://www.falstad.com/circuit.

So does anyone have any suggestions for schematic and circuit simulator software? Something for beginners like myself; proprietary or freeware.

Thanks,

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
LTSpice is hardly for beginners.

Not a circuit simulator but Express Schematic / PCB is very easy to use. Aslo I have been working with Diptrace lately. Harder to use than Express but more powerful and still not that hard to use.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Many people here use LTSpice, and IMO, it is great for beginners. There is a tutorial on their site to help get you started. Plus, this is a great site to ask questions when you get stuck.

droggie

Joined Oct 21, 2012
Can I ask where I find LEDs, voltage sources and transistors in LTspice? Or do I have to create them manually?

Veracohr

Joined Jan 3, 2011
LTSpice is hardly for beginners.
Is there really a simulator that is for beginners that is limited to simple concepts? A simulator is as simple or as complicated as the circuits one simulates with it.

Can I ask where I find LEDs, voltage sources and transistors in LTspice? Or do I have to create them manually?
The most basic passive components are in a toolbar above the schematic area, and they should have pop-up flags saying what they are (in case you aren't familiar with all symbols). The one that says "Component" gives you a window that gives access to more components. Transistors are labeled npn, pnp, nmos, pmos, njf, pjf. After placing the component, you can choose an actual model rather than the ideal model that is initially placed. Voltage sources are the component 'voltage', and you can choose all sorts of characteristics of them. There's a folder for opamps which should be populated with LT-brand opamps, and at the end of the list there are some 'ideal' opamps. I use "UniversalOpamp2" all the time.

You're right, it's not entirely intuitive for beginners, but just start simple and ask questions, and search the LTSpice User's Guide to find out all the various things you can define for a component. Some of it you might not be familiar with, but you don't have to define everything.

tinkerman

Joined Jul 22, 2012
Found LTSpice from this thread and started to play with it. Is there a way to flip SCR so that the gate is on the right instead of left side? Also is there UJT symbol? Haven't found it yet. If there is, angain can it be flipped left to right too?
TIA

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Found LTSpice from this thread and started to play with it. Is there a way to flip SCR so that the gate is on the right instead of left side? Also is there UJT symbol? Haven't found it yet. If there is, angain can it be flipped left to right too?
TIA
Yes, at the top, right of center, of the window, there are curly arrows. One flips the symbol in the x-direction, and the other in the y-direction. Use the 'hand' icon to grab the symbol, then click the arrow(s)

tinkerman

Joined Jul 22, 2012
No I found that but that's not what I meant. I would like the diode pointing downwards as it pops up would like the gate on the right. I don't see a way of changing that unless I'm missing something. I wonder why they choose Yahoo for users groups. :(