schematic drawing software

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Matt,

The Microchip library in DipTrace has over 1,000 entries. What part did you not find?
I didn't find the library! :eek::rolleyes:

EDIT: Found it. Not sure how I missed that.... :confused:

I take it all back--these libraries are very thorough!

EDIT EDIT: Fixed the graphic. Thank you very much for pointing these things out. DIPtrace is looking much better now. This is exactly why I posted it here--so that experts with each software can point out any errors I've made (which appear to be very extensive :p:D)

Last edited:

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I, personally don't see the big deal over 3D or no 3D. Its just a gimmick. As long as the part placement is viable why is 3D necessary?

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I, personally don't see the big deal over 3D or no 3D. Its just a gimmick. As long as the part placement is viable why is 3D necessary?
A 3-D view in Eagle has been indispensable for me. I find it very useful to see what the board will actually look like, so that I can know if something might be in the way of another, or if it's off-center, or whatever. It's just a good way of separating the layers and seeing how it'll actually be set up in real life. I imagine the same goes for other programs with a 3-D view.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
ExpressPCB was actually the first design software I ever used. It's okay for your average hobbyist, but when it comes to designing boards professionally, or even for serious hobbying, it just doesn't cut it. I also don't like that they require you use their manufacturing service. That's a dealbreaker for me--I like to be able to choose the company that makes my boards.
I don't know if it was the first package I used but I've used ExpressPCB multiple times professionally. True, mostly for test fixturing but at least once for a rush production product. Today we have other tools and sources so that need may no longer exist, but it is there.

We got boards in a week, and once you get the boards ExpressPCB will sell you the gerbers (for about what the boards themselves cost). They don't want production orders, just prototypes, but will accommodate you.

I still like the schematic capture for simple items, fast throwdowns that I'll make to post here.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I just started work on a simple board in DIPtrace, to try to get the hang of it. I don't like the limits, but I will settle for them anyway, just so that I can make a more educated decision. I was trying to find the MIC5219 voltage regulator and was surprised to find that DIPtrace does not have a Micrel library?

Tracecom, you seem to be the DIPtrace expert here. Am I missing it like I missed the Microchip library, or is it nonexistent?

Matt