satellite telephone and internet ?

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Does anybody know of any satellite phone and Internet providers. I have used dish / verizion direct tv but that was for only tv.... they had no services that I know of with telephone or Internet thru satellites . Anybody know any options for this.

I know there is alot of interference from weather is not as good as the regular means / slow etc etc.... normally. But I was more curious to try it out for a couple of months.
And how I would have to call or talk to to get this services.

I understand 3g/4g is a better option but probably not for data rates if you factor money wise.... though I don't really care about all this stuff.

More curious just to try it out and what equipment will I have to get and rig up ?

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Don't want voip for telephone.
I want to try pure satellite telephone if there is a provider that possible offers it for customers. Or maybe it is only restricted for government uses or other customer orientated services ?

As for internet is there any ISP providers that you know of that provided satellite internet services ?

I am also curious if I cann't try those services out. Weather there is a site I can look at pictures of how it is actually setup. I would think its similar to direct tv for internet.
But phone maybe you need a special satellite phone or at least a phone that connects to some type of satellite devices/dish.

Curious what the devices are and the cableing / setup/how that goes .

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
For telephone or internet or both ?
And what price range a month are we talking. Any restrictions on data amounts or telephone areas /local /long distances charges. ( would think local / long distances isn't applicable but maybe not)

May I ask what company where you usesing ... a link to somebody I can get in touch with ?

Thanks

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Well I found this site and gave them a call.
http://www.exede.com/deal/google-ind-state?mm_campaign=e6467f10ff9d1a64b15e4d501d8d3394&keyword=satellite%20internet%20providers&gclid=CJCwzJ7nnrECFUXc4Aodc0VWWQ

They basically said the speeds are around 12 Mps download , 3 Mps upload .
Well thats not as good as 4g lte obviously but alot better then verizons dsl services.
And comparable to some of the comcast cables speeds (obviously not the high middle or fast speeds but still 12Mps / 3Mps is not bad)

The only bad part is they restrictions on how much data you can uses pure month with out additional charges.... i.e 15GB , 25GB ,...etc then they charge extra...etc
And you have to be locked in to 2 years of services they said which kind of sucks a little if you need to cancel the service early. You are going to get wacked with earily termination fees.

So I am not going to sign up because of all this plus they are on the really expensive side of thing. At this point I would just go with cellular plans.
But then again if you do satellite there is no roaming or unlocking need if you are internationally traveling.

As for the hardware and setup does anybody know of a video / youtube clip or images of the hardware and setup procedure for these satellite internet services. I.E is it like a modem that plugs into a satellite via a coax cable and then the modem plugs into your router/computer via a rj45 cable (cat 5 ,5e ,6 ,...etc) i.e the standard way most services setup things for home users/customers.

Or is there a complete different setup / hardware / cableing. If it is anything like direct tv set up then pretty easy to set up.

As for satellite phone they don't offer it but I could just as well use my google voice or softphone voip service thru there link to do the equivalent. Of course I would have to watch the amount of data it chews but then again maybe I can some how get an unlimited data plan with them.

Anyway anybody know more about it? (i.e set up ,...etc )

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I have used dish / verizion direct tv but that was for only tv.... they had no services that I know of with telephone or Internet thru satellites .
Direct TV does offer phone/TV/internet packages. Whether the internet and phone actually go through the dish, I don't know. It shows "internet and phone partners" at the bottom, so I'm assuming that it's actually a landline.

I was looking at buying a house last year that was out in the boondocks, no cable or phone lines available. One solution I found for internet is wildblue satellite internet. IIRC the speed was painfully slow and even more painful was the price. It may have improved, I don't know.

As far a satellite phones, which are legit, "communicates directly with satellite and works anywhere on the face of the planet", those are uber expensive, and the service is even more expensive. We had one of these on board the submarine to make emergency calls anywhere, including here. I got to use it once, but only because I conned the engineering officer into letting me.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Whether the internet and phone actually go through the dish, I don't know. It shows "internet and phone partners" at the bottom, so I'm assuming that it's actually a landline.
Well I know verizion and most of the direct tv providers that provide internet and phone provide it as different then the satellite tv. i.e either dsl , or voip or cellular options

as for your satellite telephone that is pretty cool i looked at picture most of the time you just need the phone and no addition hardware but I see some have other antenna based /dish based software they plug into. Either way very cool. But I could imagine ass expensive. Wondering what satellite tethering would be like for prices.

Curious also I have not actually priced satellite telephone would you know how much a typical monthly service would run on average. As well as what a satellite phone costs around. Because if it isn''t a fortune I might up to buy a satellite phone and try it phone a month or so. The put it on ebay or sell it .

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Did you see my link to the sat phones? They're between 1000 to 5000$ or more. I have no idea how much the service costs but it's so cost prohibitive that pretty much the only people who use it are people who get to take money from other people ( the government)

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Ya , I saw those and I actually found a couple that where in the range of a smartphone for prices ... i.e $500ish not bad

But your right the services cost an arm and a leg...

Though it would be good for marine or other traveling boats or transportation that you never no where your going to be ... on the moon ...LOL

But ya I think this thread can be closed now

osx-addict

Joined Feb 9, 2012
I'm surprised that nobody mentioned HughesNet for satellite based internet.. I've heard it's a bit on the slow side.. Not sure of the pricing though -- it's been around for probably close to 10 years??

As for satellite based 'world' phones, there's GlobalStar & Irridium that come to mind.. I believe Globalstar is derived from a product that Quallcom originally engineered (they tried to hire me back in the early 2000's to work in San Diego on that stuff).. I'm sure there are others..

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I never saw a good review for hughesnet. There was nothing but terrible reviews at the time I was shopping, so I never even considered it.