same problem want a 5m range ir sensor circuit

nazish

Joined Nov 15, 2010
hi, i had posted post bt i did not understand anyone's reply......... i want to make a ir circuit whose range must be greater then 5m........ plz help me

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Here is the other thread for reference: http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=45691

@nazish
I can barely understand your question, considering all of the dots, absence of vowels, and absence of capitalization.

In reading your other thread, however, it is clear that you have simply not read about this subject at all. Even a quick search of this site would give you many valuable suggestions.

Consider this:

1) You will be using an infrared emitter and detector. The detector will include noise canceling circuitry. One of a large number of such detectors is the Vishay TSOP1738.

2) The transmitter will be an IRED. You will need to pulse it at 38 KHz or whatever frequency your detector needs. You will also need to send packets of pulses separated by no pulses. The datasheet for the detector will describe in great detail what you need to do.

3) Many people use two NE555 or LM555 chips for generating that signal. It can also be easily generated with a microcontroller.

This forum is quite receptive to helping anyone who asks a question; however, you will get much more help, if you show evidence that you have made an effort.

John

nazish

Joined Nov 15, 2010
sir john,
i want to make circuit my self who can detect objects upto 5m. will you please provide me some circuit diagram

nazish

Joined Nov 15, 2010
Actually i want to make stick for blind peoples. sensor used in this stick should detect all objects, hurdles or obstacles which can be present in blind people's path. for which i will going to use more sensors because i can't achieve my goal by using just one sensor. if a range greater then 5m can not be achieved by ir sensor then please recommend some other ultrasonic or any other which you think will be helpful for me in my project. thankyou

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
It does not sound like a well thought out solution to a hypothetical problem.

Why would a blind person want a warning about objects within a radius of 5 m. In any place where there were other people or obstructions, it is likely the alert would be constantly on. Constantly on is not very useful.

John

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
A really tough project. Some of the things you might use to detect motion won't work, since the "stick" itself needs to move. Detecting static objects is much tougher. I think sonar and echo-location may be the best option. That's how nature allows "blind" animals to find their prey.

IR will only work for a very close or very reflective object. For example it works for robots about to hit a wall.

Would one of those laser rangefinders work? Project a laser scan forward and look for reflections at the right wavelength. Problem to not blind everyone ELSE!

nazish

Joined Nov 15, 2010
It does not sound like a well thought out solution to a hypothetical problem.

Why would a blind person want a warning about objects within a radius of 5 m. In any place where there were other people or obstructions, it is likely the alert would be constantly on. Constantly on is not very useful.

John
5m range because sensor will give lesser output for far objects and give max output for nearer objects so that he/she will be able to detect distance of hurdle. As I am going to start this project and very new i will change my ideas and techniques for making my project best.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
5m range because sensor will give lesser output for far objects and give max output for nearer objects so that he/she will be able to detect distance of hurdle. As I am going to start this project and very new i will change my ideas and techniques for making my project best.
Did you look at the datasheet for the TSOP detector I suggested?

John

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
That was the point I tried to raise, perhaps too subtly. At first, it was a detection system, so the TSOP1738 was suggested as an example. Then nazish added that he could discriminate distance based on the intensity of the signal. That suggested to me that he had not read/understood the datasheet. The rest is history.

Now, it seems the goal is to develop an infrared LIDAR with a range of >5 meters that will fit in something really small. I don't think the project has been fully thought out (still).

John

I am not sure why he would want to detect objects at 5m. How fast does he think a blind person is going to be moving. I would have thought 2m would have been more than ample.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
The breadboard might be helpful, but I am curious what the "desired output" is. In fact, after reviewing the thread, am not quite sure what the desired project is. Maybe a little summary by nazish woud be a good place to start.

John

nazish

Joined Nov 15, 2010
For my project i am using t.v Remote control as a transmitte, and for receiver i am using TSOP, i adjust different angles of my 8 TSOP receiver for finding different distance and then i use 8*1mux ( also controlling mux from microcontroller) and place mux's output in microcontroller's counter pin. Then controller will count events and when it give pulses on mux i am assigning controller's pin a logic 1, and then i am doing this work for all sensors.........

i wana know what can i do if a stairs comes in a blind's path......... i want your help......... i want to make my strategy as simsle as possible.........
if you have any solution for finding obstacles then plz help me..........

Thanks