Salvaged component identification

doggiedoc

Joined Dec 16, 2004
Hi all -
My electronics hobbies have evolved into salvaging old stuff and making fun things if I can. Some of you may have seen the NAND gate oscillator I was working on earlier. I usually just end up making LEDs blink. :D

Anyway, I found some old power transistors in an old HP box (I think it was a server power supply from the 1980's but I could be wrong.

Here is an image of what I am pretty sure are power transistors but I have not had any luck finding a datasheet on them. I've never seen anything from RCA before (granted there is a lot I don't know :confused:).

Any help in identification would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Doc

Attachments

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
The component on the right is probably a positive 35 volt linear regulator and though I cannot make out all of the numbers on the left component, it looks like a 7921. If it is a 7921 then it may be a negative 21 volt linear regulator.

It was not uncommon for the higher power regulators to come in a T0-3 package.

hgmjr

doggiedoc

Joined Dec 16, 2004
Thanks! The left component reads HM 7921 on the bottom and 4-0563 on the top. The component on the right reads RM 7835 on the bottom and 4-0563 across the top.

A voltage regulator would make sense. I'll see if I can take a decent image of the board they came from. There was also two 2n3791 PNP power transistors with these two RCA components.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
My guess is that they are the same part, 4-0563, which is a proprietary number that was assigned to them by the company that made the product you (or whoever salvaged them) found them in, e.g., a TV set or whatever. I think 7921 and 7935 are date codes, which are very common on electronic parts. (19)79 would be the year, 21 and 35 would be the weeks, when they were made by RCA.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
If you can draw a schematic, with the mystery parts shown as boxes, we could probably figure out what they are in general terms, but I doubt you will ever get specifications for them.

doggiedoc

Joined Dec 16, 2004
Well curiosity got the best of me and I decided to open the case. Using nippers I trimmed the top off of the metal T-03 casing.

Here is a high resolution scan of the innards. :D

Of course I don't know any more about this piece than I did before I opened it but .....

Attachments

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Well curiosity got the best of me and I decided to open the case. Using nippers I trimmed the top off of the metal T-03 casing.

Here is a high resolution scan of the innards. :D

Of course I don't know any more about this piece than I did before I opened it but .....
Based on what I can see, I feel comfortable saying that there is not enough sophistication to the silicon for the device to be a voltage regulator as I initially guessed.

I believe RonH has correctly interpreted the nomenclature on the device case as a proprietary device number and the date code.

It looks to me like it is a power bipolar transistor or possibly a field-effect transistor.

You can determine if it is a bipolar transistor and whether it is an NPN of PNP with a DVM that has a diode checking setting on it.

transistor testing using voltmeter

hgmjr

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
So what is your next move now that you have a reasonable idea of what the devices are?

Is you goal to resurrect the circuit?

hgmjr

doggiedoc

Joined Dec 16, 2004
I'm trying to make a free-formed astable oscillator based on a basic schematic I found at techlib.com.

http://www.techlib.com/electronics/flipflopflash.htm

One red and one green LED makes for a catchy holiday feel. :D:D

I've made many in the past and part of the pleasure is figuring out how to make them for salvaged parts I suppose.

Here's an example. The device in the top of the picture uses a bicolor g/r LED. The one in the bottom doesn't work yet. :(

Attachments